Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy engineer

Babylon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chrishelen View Post
    I dont know what you are trying to say,

Are you saying "middle class types" are not up for a bit of dodgy dealing? Come on...and i certainly now "how the real world works".There are also a lot of folk on this forum who watch a lot of gangster movies by the sound of it.

Legal route every time imo.
    Legal route for me IF its viable. No other route for me if it isn't. I'm middle-class.

Most of my battles have been against 'City Hall' (the BBC, the Arts Council, the University of London), so I just had to walk away from these. Me against collossal legal teams? Wasn't worth the negative energy and emotional stress, let alone the loss of positive, productive time.

But I used to live in various **** parts of London, where some people operate entirely outside of middle-class ways.

No doubt some middle-class people aren't very nice either, but I try not to keep their company.

I'm not advocating, nor have I ever advocated, anything criminal. But that doesn't mean that criminal methods aren't used by those with criminal attitudes - and I mean real life and not just TV.

To the OP: do your best to recover your money through all available legal channels. If you cannot, then put it down to experience and move swiftly on.
    Last edited by Babylon; 05-03-12 at 21:32.

Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    Engineers (real ones) have training to and above degree level. They wear suits and design things. Technicians don't.

However, unlike every other profession in the UK, anyone can call themselves an engineer. I think the poster is trying to point out that you were conned by a technician.

If the guy is an engineer, then a call to his Learned Institution could yield results.
    Every boatyard in the country has "marine engineers" they don't have degrees or belong to institutes. That's the way it has always been and long may it last. There are good ones and bad ones doesn't matter what their title is. The day we start asking to see qualifications and only allowing "engineers" to work on our boats is a sad day. And it would cost us more

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Every boatyard in the country has "marine engineers" they don't have degrees or belong to institutes. That's the way it has always been and long may it last. There are good ones and bad ones doesn't matter what their title is. The day we start asking to see qualifications and only allowing "engineers" to work on our boats is a sad day. And it would cost us more
    Strangely enough if you hire a real engineer the hourly cost will certainly be less than most francise garages and I suspect many boatyards. If I want some one to work on my boat engine I want a good mechanic not an engineer.

or real marine engineers see http://www.imarest.org/Home.aspx
    Peter

Engineers (real ones) have training to and above degree level. They wear suits and design things. Technicians don't.

However, unlike every other profession in the UK, anyone can call themselves an engineer. I think the poster is trying to point out that you were conned by a technician.

If the guy is an engineer, then a call to his Learned Institution could yield results.
    By golly - all the hang-ups are getting an airing tonight!

And he's wrong of course. Strictly speaking, there are only three real professions, medicine, the law and divinity. Nowadays even journalists are labelled "professional" not to mention nurses and social workers. Maybe even diesel mechanics and ladies of the night.

Mind you , did Brunel go to uni? Or Stephenson? Or Whitworth? Or Babbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    +1
    C_W
    Holiday Flat to let in Millport , pm for details.

Sandyman is offline Registered User

Sorry to drag this up again but have only just seen a link Steve Clayton sent me.

Case of come on down suckers.................seems to me.

No longer in Gosport or could arrange a visit by peeps that collect money.

Having electrical work done in Gosport ??? Then steer clear of REEF MARINE.
    Bunch of Cowboys & Conmen. Google their website. They travel worldwide to fix your problems. Ha Ha Ha I wouldn't trust them to change the battery in my emergency Nav Lights

IanH is offline Registered User

However, unlike every other profession in the UK, anyone can call themselves an engineer.
    Anyone can call themselves an accountant too - or is that not a profession

Edit - apparently not according to Bosun - I was aware of the older list of professions btw.
    Last edited by IanH; 26-07-12 at 16:19.

Default Adam Dean

Just received an email from marina advising that Mr Dean is banned from working on all Premier marinas.

Another person who will cause you grief is Jason Kaye of B K Marine Systems.

Blue5 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nightjar View Post
    Just received an email from marina advising that Mr Dean is banned from working on all Premier marinas.
    First time I have seen such an e-mail, good on you Premier for trying to protect your customers and your reputation.

dk is online now Registered User

The answer is fairly simple - never pay for anything up front! If the guy or company can't afford to buy the bits to do a simple and relatively low-cost job, then they shouldn't be trading! This might mean paying a little more to get a pukka outfit to do the job, but at least it'll be done and if it isn't right you've got leverage to make sure it is.