Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    As far as i know, no petrol between Levington and the Humber, at least.
    I'm pretty sure there is none in Chatham either - they have two pumps, but both are red diesel - one is just faster for filling big boats. As far as I remember, Gillingham only has one pump.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    14,526

    Default

    Fairly sure MDL at Chatham had a price for petrol last time I went past.





    My first 2 mobo's were petrol. All I could afford at the time.

    All my prior boats were petrol because thats what my cash could buy,even the very inadvisable purchase of a dreadful american heap of a Regal "sports boat" with twin mercruiser outdrives which never ever failed to let me down or cost me a fortune in bits even when it was running.
    About as robust as an egg carton and about as reliable as a promise of good weather in August !
    Last edited by oldgit; 05-03-12 at 19:18.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Fairly sure MDL at Chatham had a price for petrol last time I went past.
    Hmmm, seems you're right - at least according to their web site - my eyes must be worse than I thought!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    664

    Default

    You would have to go through mutford lock to get petrol at lowestoft and from there you are right, no more petrol going north until possibly Grimsby. Don't know as I never turn left.

    Chatham do have petrol but Gillingham are BP price plus about 5p

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ian38_39 View Post
    You would have to go through mutford lock to get petrol at lowestoft and from there you are right, no more petrol going north until possibly Grimsby. Don't know as I never turn left.

    Chatham do have petrol but Gillingham are BP price plus about 5p
    none in Grimsby and Hull stopped last year
    "It was the crew's fault"

  6. #26
    neale's Avatar
    neale is offline Registered User
    Location : Essex Mud and Solent
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    3,226

    Default

    Even if the fuels are both as they are on the road, ie diesel about 7p per litre more expensive, you still get significantly more MPŁ than you do with petrol. In my Bayliner the difference was getting on for double. That's almost twice as far on a single tank. That together with the wider availability will mean diesel will always be favoured for cruising boats.
    Last edited by neale; 05-03-12 at 21:18.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neale View Post
    Even if the fuels are both as they are on the road, ie diesel about 7p per litre more expensive, you still get significantly more MPŁ than you do with petrol. In my Bayliner the difference was getting on for double. That's almost twice as far on a single tank. That together with the wider availability will mean diesel will always be favoured for cruising boats.
    I'm puzzled why that should be - assuming that both boats are similarly powered - the difference for cars is a lot less than that.

  8. #28
    neale's Avatar
    neale is offline Registered User
    Location : Essex Mud and Solent
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    3,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I'm puzzled why that should be - assuming that both boats are similarly powered - the difference for cars is a lot less than that.
    Well to be fair I was going from a fairly old Carb V8 to a modern 4 cylinder diesel but performance was pretty much the same. Top speed 30 knots,crusing speed 24 ish. Petrol engine used 10gph, diesel uses about 5.5gph.

    I guess a modern fuel injected petrol would be more efficient than my old one but I doubt you'd get down to 5.5gph at crusing speed.

    But even if you had identical consumption, availability still lets petrol down the way it stands at the moment. When the boat was petrol powered, every cruise was planned around fuel stops and I always carried jerry cans and often filled up with them from roadside garages. It was a pain in the arms

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neale View Post
    Well to be fair I was going from a fairly old Carb V8 to a modern 4 cylinder diesel but performance was pretty much the same. Top speed 30 knots,crusing speed 24 ish. Petrol engine used 10gph, diesel uses about 5.5gph.

    I guess a modern fuel injected petrol would be more efficient than my old one but I doubt you'd get down to 5.5gph at crusing speed.

    But even if you had identical consumption, availability still lets petrol down the way it stands at the moment. When the boat was petrol powered, every cruise was planned around fuel stops and I always carried jerry cans and often filled up with them from roadside garages. It was a pain in the arms
    Well, I can certainly appreciate the latter point. I'm sure that diesel is a bit more efficient than petrol, but the 2:1 ratio seems improbable to me

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Not necessarily if you are talking latest generation.

    The new high tech petrols are giving torque and consumption figures at least in line with modern diesels and they are still substantially cheaper to buy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •