Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    As far as i know, no petrol between Levington and the Humber, at least.
    I'm pretty sure there is none in Chatham either - they have two pumps, but both are red diesel - one is just faster for filling big boats. As far as I remember, Gillingham only has one pump.

Fairly sure MDL at Chatham had a price for petrol last time I went past.

My first 2 mobo's were petrol. All I could afford at the time.

All my prior boats were petrol because thats what my cash could buy,even the very inadvisable purchase of a dreadful american heap of a Regal "sports boat" with twin mercruiser outdrives which never ever failed to let me down or cost me a fortune in bits even when it was running.
    About as robust as an egg carton and about as reliable as a promise of good weather in August !
    Last edited by oldgit; 05-03-12 at 19:18.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Fairly sure MDL at Chatham had a price for petrol last time I went past.
    Hmmm, seems you're right - at least according to their web site - my eyes must be worse than I thought!

You would have to go through mutford lock to get petrol at lowestoft and from there you are right, no more petrol going north until possibly Grimsby. Don't know as I never turn left.

Chatham do have petrol but Gillingham are BP price plus about 5p

Quote Originally Posted by ian38_39 View Post
    You would have to go through mutford lock to get petrol at lowestoft and from there you are right, no more petrol going north until possibly Grimsby. Don't know as I never turn left.

Chatham do have petrol but Gillingham are BP price plus about 5p
    none in Grimsby and Hull stopped last year
    "It was the crew's fault"

neale is offline Registered User

Even if the fuels are both as they are on the road, ie diesel about 7p per litre more expensive, you still get significantly more MPŁ than you do with petrol. In my Bayliner the difference was getting on for double. That's almost twice as far on a single tank. That together with the wider availability will mean diesel will always be favoured for cruising boats.
    Last edited by neale; 05-03-12 at 21:18.

Quote Originally Posted by neale View Post
    Even if the fuels are both as they are on the road, ie diesel about 7p per litre more expensive, you still get significantly more MPŁ than you do with petrol. In my Bayliner the difference was getting on for double. That's almost twice as far on a single tank. That together with the wider availability will mean diesel will always be favoured for cruising boats.
    I'm puzzled why that should be - assuming that both boats are similarly powered - the difference for cars is a lot less than that.

neale is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I'm puzzled why that should be - assuming that both boats are similarly powered - the difference for cars is a lot less than that.
    Well to be fair I was going from a fairly old Carb V8 to a modern 4 cylinder diesel but performance was pretty much the same. Top speed 30 knots,crusing speed 24 ish. Petrol engine used 10gph, diesel uses about 5.5gph.

I guess a modern fuel injected petrol would be more efficient than my old one but I doubt you'd get down to 5.5gph at crusing speed.

But even if you had identical consumption, availability still lets petrol down the way it stands at the moment. When the boat was petrol powered, every cruise was planned around fuel stops and I always carried jerry cans and often filled up with them from roadside garages. It was a pain in the arms

Quote Originally Posted by neale View Post
    Well to be fair I was going from a fairly old Carb V8 to a modern 4 cylinder diesel but performance was pretty much the same. Top speed 30 knots,crusing speed 24 ish. Petrol engine used 10gph, diesel uses about 5.5gph.

I guess a modern fuel injected petrol would be more efficient than my old one but I doubt you'd get down to 5.5gph at crusing speed.

But even if you had identical consumption, availability still lets petrol down the way it stands at the moment. When the boat was petrol powered, every cruise was planned around fuel stops and I always carried jerry cans and often filled up with them from roadside garages. It was a pain in the arms
    Well, I can certainly appreciate the latter point. I'm sure that diesel is a bit more efficient than petrol, but the 2:1 ratio seems improbable to me

Not necessarily if you are talking latest generation.

The new high tech petrols are giving torque and consumption figures at least in line with modern diesels and they are still substantially cheaper to buy.