Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future

Default Future

Looks like its there, no more moaning, the technology is reddy. Just one thing, the windgen on top should have fethering blades.

http://www.green-motion.com/site/

rivonia is offline Registered User

Lightbulb

Well it LOOKs very nice and I think that this could be the way forward. My only doubts are the folding up saildrives. What would happen in a very sevear storm with huge waves smashing up and under. The pressure would perhaps be to great and could possibly break them off?

Peter

tonybannister is offline Registered User

The main benefit seems to be the ability to lift the units out of the water. Cannot see anything that tells me how they do that on a monohull ?

Quote Originally Posted by tonybannister View Post
    The main benefit seems to be the ability to lift the units out of the water. Cannot see anything that tells me how they do that on a monohull ?
    Saw a pop out bow thruster the other day, perhaps something similar?

The concept leaves no room for a mono-hull. Not enough space for solar panels and due to stability way to heavy to be efficient. I can not say to love catamarans, but undoubtedly they are the future for cruising. On my second day as skipper on a big catamaran, we ( The yacht and I ) managed 17 knots speed. As with many things in my life, I was just barely in control, it ended up all right, I learned a lot.
    If I could start all over again, I would build a light weight catamaran as my floating home. The myth that cats do not sail upwind is ridiculous and anyway, my old wooden heavyweight is not much better.

NickRobinson is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tonybannister View Post
    What goes round (no pun intended ) comes around...

HMS Warrior had a pop out propeller, all 24 tonnes of it...

http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/...Ironworks.html

N
    Last edited by NickRobinson; 08-03-12 at 10:19.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBawley View Post
    Looks like its there, no more moaning, the technology is reddy. Just one thing, the windgen on top should have fethering blades.

http://www.green-motion.com/site/
    lets hope someone reputable gets the technology. no-one in their right mind would deal with gideon gouldsmit....

Talbot is offline Registered User

The motors and different drive types have been available for a long time. What is not ready is the battery power/cost/storage/weight problem. Some solutions are available but at national debt scale cost.

I am not a great fan of the massive electronic requirement of modern boats. Electronics and salt water are not comfortable together.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

SailorBill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by yesod View Post
    lets hope someone reputable gets the technology. no-one in their right mind would deal with gideon gouldsmit....
    Flippin 'eck!

Try https://www.google.com/search?client...oe=utf-8&gl=uk his name and follow some of the links
    Bill

SailorBill is offline Registered User