Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bursledon bridge Hamble

I am moving to a boatyard above Bursledon bridge and I was wondering what the clearance would be at the highest tide. My radar tower does fold down but its a bit of a faff to do it.

ANDY59 is offline Registered User

All the info is here http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hambleharbo...on-bridges.htm
    I think max spring tide is 3.5 mtres

Whitelighter is offline Registered User

At the highest tide there will be no clearance for you.

I had a sports boat north of the bridge for a while and high tide, even on neaps was a no no.

You are probably looking at access up to 2 hours either side of hw
    Half a dinari for an old ex-boater

Whitelighter spot on, it will restrict your coming and going a fair bit. Volvopaul of this parish keeps his boat at Cabin Boat yard so will be able to advise what restrictions he experiences with his similar size Flybridge Mobo.

...but welcome to the Hamble!

I went to eastlands for a few days to try it, it was even more difficult there

high water = not enough air draft

low water = not enough water

Somewhere in the middle was possible with heart thumping risk of damage but plenty manage it

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY59 View Post
    All the info is here http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hambleharbo...on-bridges.htm
    I think max spring tide is 3.5 mtres
    Thanks I have taken a copy of the information it will be usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly625 View Post
    Whitelighter spot on, it will restrict your coming and going a fair bit. Volvopaul of this parish keeps his boat at Cabin Boat yard so will be able to advise what restrictions he experiences with his similar size Flybridge Mobo.

...but welcome to the Hamble!
    Thanks for the welcome we are looking forward to the move from Shamrock quay after many years mooring there. Nice marina awfull position.Some of the reasons for the move are that it will cut out the 8 mile round trip from the Itchen to the Hamble cardinal and back. I don't count the trip from Shamrock to its junction with Southampton Water as there is not much difference between Hamble cardinal and Bursledon they cancel each other out. The rising cost of fuel coupled with cheaper moorings also played a part. I will miss the slightly cheaper fuel and the free moorings at other MDL marina's.I did the maths and I will be much better off being closer to the Solent.We always had to do the trip to get anywhere anyway.

AdeOlly is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mad_boater View Post
    The rising cost of fuel coupled with cheaper moorings also played a part. I will miss the slightly cheaper fuel and the free moorings at other MDL marina's.I did the maths and I will be much better off being closer to the Solent.We always had to do the trip to get anywhere anyway.
    Almost exactly the same logic as our move from Northney to Gosport. We nearly always exit Chi and head west either into or through the Solent. Our move will save about 40 everytime we go out and also a consideable amount of time by cutting out the run through Chi harbour, pleasant though it is, plus the berthing is a grand less. The minus as you say is loss of fuel at cost and MDL free nights (though we used few), and an extra 20 minutes in the car to get to the Gosport marina.

We did consider Eastlands, but SWMBO wasn't all that keen preferring better facilities and a marina.
    Adrian

I think you'll find it's a lot further from Hamble Cardinal to Bursledon Bridge than it is from Weston to Shamrock.

Can't disagree about the trip from Weston to Calshot though (mind you it only takes me 15 mins )

mikef is offline Registered User

Many years ago, I bought our first ever seagoing boat a Sealine 305, from the Sealine dealer who used to operate from Swanwick boatyard just upstream. For our first trip out on our new boat, I planned the trip meticulously based on prevailing tides and having plenty of water under the keel but it never occurred to me that the height of Bursleden bridge might be a problem. When we had seatrialled the boat, I didn't realise that we had gone under the bridge near low water. Anyway, we cast off an hour or two after high water and on a fast ebbing tide approached Bursleden bridge. My mate was helming the boat from the flybridge and I was standing next to him. My SWMBO was on the foredeck coiling up ropes and putting away fenders; she suddenly started shouting and pointing upwards but we couldn't hear her above the racket of the engines and I told my mate to ignore her. After all what do women know about helming boats? A few seconds later we started to nose under Bursleden bridge and I finally realised what my SWMBO was getting so aeriated about. We were too high to get under the bridge. My mate slammed the boat into reverse but it was too late. The boat was slewed sideways by the tide and the radar arch crashed into the underside of the bridge slicing off the very substantial Koden radar dome and VHF/Decca aerials and bending the stainless steel radar arch. I later found out that the radar dome had plummeted into the cockpit below and whacked the head of my mate's girlfriend's dog. We eventually extricated ourselves and limped back to the marina to survey the damage. The dog was cowering under the saloon table, reasoning I guess that it was the only safe place to hide from massive objects falling out of the sky. My mate's girlfriend refused to come on the boat ever again
    Moral of the story: look up as well as down when you're boating