Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I have never tried coppercoat before but it does sound interesting, can anyone let me know how much it would cost to do a sadler 29 and how long in reality it lasts before doing again.
    It cost a total of around £2500 to have our 33 footer professionally Coppercoated - that was three coats of plain epoxy followed by three coats of Coppercoat. I think the materials for your boat would probably be five or six hundred quid. You can always find a few people reporting bad experiences, but the vast majority of people that have done it properly (or had it done properly) report eight to ten years of trouble free life - sometimes more. It still needs an annual lift and quick scrub, but no further painting.

If you do it yourself, you should break even within a few years and come out in-pocket well before it wears out. Less clear cut for us, having it done professionally - it will probably work out at around £250 per year and you could probably get an annual coat of Cruiser UNO whacked on for the same price. My rationale was that we did not want to be without the boat for a couple of weeks each year while it was hauled out and antifouled.

Shanty is offline Registered User

I have never tried coppercoat before but it does sound interesting, can anyone let me know how much it would cost to do a sadler 29 and how long in reality it lasts before doing again.
    I initially coated Shanty with copper epoxy (not Coppercoat, but a rival product from a now defunct firm) 12 years ago. During that time, she has only needed light pressure washing each autumn.

The coating had failed by haul out last year, so I'm going to re-coat with Coppercoat. The product cost was £600 for a 30ft long fin & skeg hull.

pappaecho is offline Registered User

Having done almost exactly last year, my comments are as follows. The application of epoxy is a different job to applying the coppercoat on top.
    With epoxy, you can apply several coats with a time delay of months at worst case between coats. You may also find that the minimum curing temperatures are different.

My advice is to do the epoxy coating first as it is much more time tolerant. You also need to look at both day and night time temperature.

With coppercoat you must apply coat upon coat almost immediately, and you need help as it is a labour intensive task to apply 5 coats in a day. In my case the day time temperature in mid march, resulted in almost continual application as by the time we had finished one coat, the first area was almost cured and only slightly tacky, so actually a lower daytime temperature within the curing range is beneficial, as it gives a longer application time, daylight permitting. As long as it is dry, once applied you have no need to worry even if the temperatures plunge at night
    Def: Yachting - a way of spending the kids inheritance

rivonia is offline Registered User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    It cost a total of around £2500 to have our 33 footer professionally Coppercoated - that was three coats of plain epoxy followed by three coats of Coppercoat. I think the materials for your boat would probably be five or six hundred quid. You can always find a few people reporting bad experiences, but the vast majority of people that have done it properly (or had it done properly) report eight to ten years of trouble free life - sometimes more. It still needs an annual lift and quick scrub, but no further painting.

If you do it yourself, you should break even within a few years and come out in-pocket well before it wears out. Less clear cut for us, having it done professionally - it will probably work out at around £250 per year and you could probably get an annual coat of Cruiser UNO whacked on for the same price. My rationale was that we did not want to be without the boat for a couple of weeks each year while it was hauled out and antifouled.
    We had ours proffesionaly coppercoated in LARGS. There is absolutely no need to have her lifted out annualy.!Ours is in the Med now and NO GROWTH after three years!!!!!

by the way our 11 meter catamaran had FIVE coates put as recomended.

You makes your own choice. Good luck

Peter

xyachtdave is offline Registered User

I'm thinking of stripping the hull next year and starting again, possibly with coppercoat.

What happens to it at the end of its life cycle in regards to removal?

Is it a bugger to get off, or do you reapply on top? I have looked at their website and didn't see a mention of what happens after.

Question weather window No 2?

Here we go again, this weekend's forecast is looking half decent, but is it good enough to apply Coppercoat and have a long-lasting successful application?

Friday 23: min 6C max 13C
    Sat 24 & Sun 25: min 8C max 15-16C.
    Mon 26 & Tue 27: min 8C max 16-17C.
    Should by dry from Thursday 22 until Wed 28, southerly winds F3-F4 according to forecast.

Problem is I can't take Mon&Tue off at work, only Friday.
    I need 3 consecutive days to apply the expoxy (2 different coats "on tacky") and then the Coppercoat all on day 3 on top of the epoxy.

Will probably contact product manufacturer again for advice but do forumites with experience of Coppercoat think the above conditions are suitable or should I wait until temperatures are closer to 20C? (which could be a few weeks away...)

Wish I could hire a heated shed for this job!

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weath...R=0&NOREGION=0

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/prestwick

Flapjack is offline Registered User

We've just had a quote from Coppercoat for our 34' Bruce Roberts which came in at £490 inc delivery for the materials and we will do the work ourselves when she comes out of the water in April, they recommend a minimum of 4 coats but 5 is better. We’re then hoping that the annual lift fee becomes the annual £15 to use the scrubbing piles.
    Alcohol doesn’t make you fat it makes you lean..
    On bar, tables, chairs, ugly people..

We had ours done last year by ARC (Elessar on here) - so will be doing our first dry and wash in the next few months ...

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    I'm thinking of stripping the hull next year and starting again, possibly with coppercoat.

What happens to it at the end of its life cycle in regards to removal?

Is it a bugger to get off, or do you reapply on top? I have looked at their website and didn't see a mention of what happens after.
    I'm sure you could get away with a decent sanding to produce a good surface followed by another treatment.

Precautions

Coppercoated last Friday... DISASTER because some recommendations were not followed to the T. The problem will be fixed this week though but why go through the hassle. Do it once, do it right!

Recommendations after the fiasco.

1. Wait for the right temperature
    2. Dilute with Isopropyl to 10%
    3. Apply thin... THIN coats
    4. Resist RESIST the desire to apply thicker
    5. If you have too much material, apply more coats.

GL
    1997 Bavaria 46 Exclusive; keel still attached
    ROCNA anchor, shank not bent