Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now will we actually get out of the Solent in 2014 the way this season is going.

We both have HL foulies- i have one HL 'tropical ' jacket that must be 15 years old and stlll ok-used it for commuting all week to London, then on boat and round about daily for 9-10 months of the year.

SWMBO had Gill but like another poster, found it delaminating round the cuffs and shoulders within months, they replaced it, that did the same. She changed to HL then.

We've always tended to use Trax/ Buffalo tops and salopettes, and our foulies only when v wet/ high winds/cold, as a hangover from our dinghy cruising days.
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

It's not all about the name, it's where it is in the range. My mate bought Musto BR1s at the same time I bought MPX Gore-Tex. I did question why I'd spent twice the amount. A few years later his pockets are hanging off, my kit is still fine despite much more use. There's also a lot more reflective bits on the MPX.

However a few years ago I was lucky enough to go cross channel on an Open 60 with a Vendee skipper, and he swore by Guy Cotten in terms of outright durability. And I'd be inclined to listen to him!
    Sabre 27 134/49er GBR340/Foiling Moth GBR3116/Flying Fifteen K797

Another happy XM jacket customer ... trouble I have is finding salopettes to fit ... being only slightly portly round the middle I find that if I want the right leg length I need to be 7 feet tall.
    Has anyone had a pair altered? If so ......... ?

Thx everyone for the advice. I will go and try some on and see what fits.
    "Now clear up them there shambles, or I'll feed you piecemeal to the rats in the cellar"

Quote Originally Posted by Iain C View Post
    It's not all about the name, it's where it is in the range. My mate bought Musto BR1s at the same time I bought MPX Gore-Tex. I did question why I'd spent twice the amount. A few years later his pockets are hanging off, my kit is still fine despite much more use. There's also a lot more reflective bits on the MPX.

However a few years ago I was lucky enough to go cross channel on an Open 60 with a Vendee skipper, and he swore by Guy Cotten in terms of outright durability. And I'd be inclined to listen to him!
    Guy Cotten have a factory shop at Trégunc near Concarneau where they sell shop-soiled, end of series and good sets. I recently got an offshore jacket and salopette for €100. I haven't used it yet but visually the quality looks fine.

I previously had a German made set which now leaks like a sieve.

Prior to that I had simple Guy Cotten oilies which I used for years without problems.

A vote for Musto HPX Ocean, excellent kit. Bear in mind that GoreTex shouldn't be folded it damages the material.

Another vote for Guy Cotton. Heavy duty, pretty bomb proof, don't leak, good enough for off-shore trawlermen good enough for me. Wear with fleece layer/s.

Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now will we actually get out of the Solent in 2014 the way this season is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Independence View Post
    Another vote for Guy Cotton. Heavy duty, pretty bomb proof, don't leak, good enough for off-shore trawlermen good enough for me. Wear with fleece layer/s.
    Yep, HL will be replaced with GC, Gael Force do some good stuff on their commercial website.
    Good mid layer makes every top layer ok.
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

I spend most of my time when sailing sitting down, doing nothing very much.
    This general lack of activity makes expensive breathables somewhat unnecessary, so Guy Cotten for me too.

Zero posing value, of course.

Better roughly right than completely wrong

Capt Popeye is offline Registered User

suggest, that when 'trying on' and looking around, compare the Neck Collar for right height size for you.

some make / models, have higher Collars, and reports from various users suggest that its the collar fitting that made a particular suit / jacket appear more warm and helped retain heat when sitting in cockpit with the wind always behind them

NB if any make is found to be wanting, complain to Manufacturer, who have workshops designated to testing and finding out probs and faulty garments.

but beware, they also have ways of finding out if you have incorrectly washed the garment or abused it