Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpybear View Post
    in...
    reviewing this rant, I am depressed that so many people have already said the same thing, but been roundly ignored by others who just don't want to face reality.

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

in an ideal world, yes. but what incentive do either the politicians or their bureaucrats have to initiate legislation on what, to probably 90% of the electorate, is a complete irrelevance?

our self appointed representatives, the RYA, and the marine industry have, as repeatedly pointed out on this and other threads, for short term gain (the only viewpoint understood by British industry nowadays) persuaded the government not to get on with enacting legislation which complies with EC directives. We, the leisure boaters, have generally gone along with this to save a few quid. Now the music has stopped and we have to take the consequences.

If we want cheaper fuel, then we and others have to lobby through our MPs and directly for a significant change in fiscal policy (which means thinking about how we would prefer the lost revenue to be made up). Cheaper fuel In this context must mean road fuel, not just marine leisure fuel.

If we want to continue in the same style of boat use and with the same engines, we also need to pressurise our marinas and fuel suppliers to provide FAME free white diesel, and be grown up enough to accept the cost associated with what in the oils industry's perspective is a niche product.

I am saddened by the number of Otherwise intelligent forumites who seem to espouse the contradictory positions that boating is about freedom and self reliance, and that the nanny state has a duty to facilitate our pursuit of our often expensive hobby. Non boaters do not give a single damn whether any of us are forced to give up boating by what is a pretty marginal increase in our costs. Most marina users would save far more than the extra cost of buying FAME free white by shifting to a swinging mooring. convenience versus cost: just how committed are we?

All this at a time when western society as a whole is in denial about being in that Wile E Coyote moment after running off the edge of the cliff.

wake up and smell the coffee (and the napalm)!

reviewing this rant, I am depressed that so many people have already said the same thing, but been roundly ignored by others who just don't want to face reality.
    A wile E Coyote moment - not heard it described as this - but yes thats exactly where we are, and its not funny.

The regs at the moment stipulate that Marine fuel must be free of FAME, so any supplier who starts supplying a "marine" outlet must comply anyway. So perhaps this bit won't be the problem.

Agreed that most of the population couldn't give a damn, so we now need the likes of the RYA to sort it once and for all. I'll have mine white please....

in an ideal world, yes. but what incentive do either the politicians or their bureaucrats have to initiate legislation on what, to probably 90% of the electorate, is a complete irrelevance?

The government does not have the power to force anyone to sell anything. Thay can ban the sale of some things - they could, and should, ban marinas from selling red to leisure sailors - that would then pressure marinas to switch to white diesel or risk losing their residents who are simply forced to give up sailing if they cannot buy legal fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    A ...

The regs at the moment stipulate that Marine fuel must be free of FAME, so any supplier who starts supplying a "marine" outlet must comply anyway. So perhaps this bit won't be the problem.

I don't think there are any such regulations - just a claim that road diesel is not really suitable for marine use. There is very little evidence to support this claim which seems to have been started as extra ammunition to retain the supply of red diesel. Many sailors on the continent have no option other than white road diesel - if changes to the formulation begin to cause serious problems in boat fuel systems, new additives will soon become available to resolve them - the issues ae related to increased risk of diesel bug due to the reaction of water with the FAME and new bug treatments will be created if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I don't think there are any such regulations - just a claim that road diesel is not really suitable for marine use. There is very little evidence to support this claim which seems to have been started as extra ammunition to retain the supply of red diesel. Many sailors on the continent have no option other than white road diesel - if changes to the formulation begin to cause serious problems in boat fuel systems, new additives will soon become available to resolve them - the issues ae related to increased risk of diesel bug due to the reaction of water with the FAME and new bug treatments will be created if necessary.
    I believe that there are regulations re FAME and marine diesel, and I also think that you are wrong that the problems of fame are exaggerated. Just ring up WP Fuels in Fawley who supply Premier, which I did the other day to see if is a real problem.

On the continent most places (but not Germany, Greece) supply Fame free white diesel - someone earlier researched this and published it on one of the many Red Diesel threads.

awol is offline Registered User

No, AIUI they stipulate that BS ISO 8217:2010 fuel must be free of FAME and they allow that fuel to be supplied to sea-going vessels. That grade of fuel is likely to be always available as it is used elsewhere in engines like hospital stand-by generators where the degradation over time properties of FAME would be unwelcome. What you are after is a full-duty white version of BS ISO 8217:2010 - something that organisations like the BMF and RYA should be discussing with the refineries and suppliers.

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I don't think there are any such regulations
    Chris doesn't seem to let a few facts get in the way of his statements

Question

I also think that you are wrong that the problems of fame are exaggerated. Just ring up WP Fuels in Fawley who supply Premier, which I did the other day to see if is a real problem.
    Could you please expand on this please?
    Surely we can't all be expected to call WP Fuels - and I'm sure they've got better things to do too.
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    So, out of interest what is the general cost of diesel in France?
    Today's prices in supermarkets in Cherbourg are about €1.42/litre; it would probably be about 15% more expensive in a marina.

However the great thing is that you would have a French receipt for the fuel in your tanks in case of control.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 19-03-12 at 12:26. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    Chris doesn't seem to let a few facts get in the way of his statements
    Paul - see post 176 - Awol has found the standards that relate. So its up to us to pressure marinas blenders etc to supply this fuel. This should be done by the RYA etc, but from their last statement they seemed to be happy with the chronic status quo. Facts - get in the way!!!!

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast