Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Part One or SSR? Any thoughts?

I am changing boats once more and my new boat is presently registered part one. The owner has the name registered, so I will need to change the name, suits me, but should I stay part one and stump up the 124 or downgrade to SSR for 25. I will be sailing worldwide and hope eventually to wash up in Japan, China and Russia in the pacific north west. Any thoughts on this registration thing would be appreciated.

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Whilst you own the boat there is little difference in practical terms but the Part 1 has greater value when you sell because it determines title and will allow who ever you sell to to raise a loan to purchase if they need to. I would suggest that for 99 Part 1 is good value over SSR.
    Peter

BobnLesley is offline Registered User

Default We had much the same debate last summer...

and came up with the same opinion as JollyS "Whilst you own the boat there is little difference in practical terms but the Part 1 has greater value when you sell..." so we renewed/maintained the new boat's Part 1 status.

However, had it not already been on the Part 1 Register, there's no way would we have stumped up for tonnage surveys and the like to get the Part 1 from scratch.
    I chose the road less travelled, now where the hell am I?

Quote Originally Posted by jollysailor17 View Post
    I am changing boats once more and my new boat is presently registered part one. The owner has the name registered, so I will need to change the name, suits me, but should I stay part one and stump up the 124 or downgrade to SSR for 25. I will be sailing worldwide and hope eventually to wash up in Japan, China and Russia in the pacific north west. Any thoughts on this registration thing would be appreciated.
    If the boat value is such that a future buyer might want to get a marine mortgage Part I is definitely better.

ukmctc is offline Registered User

part 1 is the better for far flung shores. If you're changing the name on part 1, they will check to make sure yours is the only one with that name on the register, if not you won't get it. On SSR you have no need to check as its not important its only a register of small boats.

Part 1 is best for the long distance stuff or anywhere you are likely to encounter serious officialdom. The name change might demand a bit of creativity. As has been said here, it is highly likely that the name you have or choose is already taken. You can get round this by adding some qualifying words on the end such as Ditchcrawler....... of Penge, or ....of Deben .
    I found the MSC very helpful but they are very fussy and will whiz your application back very smartly if you haven't filled it in properly.

For practical purposes when voyaging it makes no difference. The main advantage is that your title is registered and charges can be registered, for example by a future buyer getting a mortgage. The actual ongoing difference in cost (once you have reregistered) is only 5 or so a year and the cost of registering from scratch is high, so best to keep it up.

I seem to remember something about Part I being proof of ownership whereas with an SSR you need to also carry some sort of bill of sale.
    With SSR you self register, so can cheat a bit on the LOA entry and so get into lots of marinas cheaper (I didn't say that).

Quote Originally Posted by jollysailor17 View Post
    If you put patriotism aside for one moment, Belgian registration has a lot to offer.

Now you you mention that we met a number of French boats who were reigistered in Belgium. They said it was much cheaper.