Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

mlines is offline Registered User

Thats all we need, a band of self important do-gooders thinking they are River Police.

(Note: had a nice and pleasant meet and chat with the EA patrol over the weekend, its not them I am referring to - I can just see the type of person this advert would attract!)

Quote Originally Posted by mlines View Post
    Thats all we need, a band of self important do-gooders thinking they are River Police.

(Note: had a nice and pleasant meet and chat with the EA patrol over the weekend, its not them I am referring to - I can just see the type of person this advert would attract!)
    I can think of a group of river users that would jump at the chance to tell us all off!!

ianc1200 is offline Registered User

Isn't this what the RTS wardens do already?

There's a good article in the recent RTS magazine about the warden who patrols the Shifford to Newbridge area and what he does, what he looks out for; it's all for the benefit of Thames users.

If we get a blue light and a siren i'm in !
    Blame it on the boogie .

boatone is offline Registered User

The advert is for people to volunteer as 'volunteer boatman' and they will need to be competent boat handlers who will be required to go through a formal training and assessment process. Once 'signed off' they will make it possible for more boat patrols but a warranted EA officer will be the 'authority' on the boat - not the volunteer.

The EA establishment just does not have enough employees to man the patrol launches which need a 'driver' and an 'inspector' to be effective as enforcement patrols. Last year there was less than one patrol per day for the whole 143 mile plus length of the river and these volunteers will allow a significant increase in the number of patrols.
    Care about MotorBoating on the Thames? - www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    The advert is for people to volunteer as 'volunteer boatman' and they will need to be competent boat handlers who will be required to go through a formal training and assessment process. Once 'signed off' they will make it possible for more boat patrols but a warranted EA officer will be the 'authority' on the boat - not the volunteer.

The EA establishment just does not have enough employees to man the patrol launches which need a 'driver' and an 'inspector' to be effective as enforcement patrols. Last year there was less than one patrol per day for the whole 143 mile plus length of the river and these volunteers will allow a significant increase in the number of patrols.
    Go for it Tone - we won't hold it against you

Actually, if you're allowed to hit the noise pedal once in a while... I'm in
    Never knowingly understood

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post

= you get to make the tea....

mlines is offline Registered User

So what you are saying is that they want YOUR boat and YOUR fuel to carry THEIR officers around???

What they really need is financing properly.

boatone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mlines View Post
    So what you are saying is that they want YOUR boat and YOUR fuel to carry THEIR officers around???

What they really need is financing properly.
    How on earth did you draw that conclusion.

Absolutely not - it will be EA launches.

I have applied for full details.

Yes, they DO NEED FINANCING PROPERLY, but the government have decided that it should not be reliant on taxpayers money to the extent it has previously been. Have you read my article in the March MBM ? Have you visited the TMBA website and read this discussion paper:
    http://www.tmba.org.uk/?page_id=428
    Last edited by boatone; 13-03-12 at 09:12.
    Care about MotorBoating on the Thames? - www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba