Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Jim@sea is offline Registered User

Default Sterndrive Service Expence

As I expect my next boat to be a diesel stern-drive I read with some alarm that In this months Powerboat & Rib magazine they have a guide to buying Second Hand Boats which says ""That a full service on a stern-drive will be around 500 a year"". Is it really that expensive ?.
    The boat I have just sold had a shaft drive which needed no maintenance whatsoever during the 6 years I had it.
    What is so complicated about Stern Drive.
    I am quite good at repairs. (I had a garage for 20 years) Can you service them yourself.
    (looking for a 22 - 26 ft diesel cruiser preferably on a trailer, age 1999 - 2004)

PCUK is offline Registered User

Complete rubbish! Easy to service, especially if you have general engineering skills. Get a service manual and you'll see that most years it is no more than an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    Complete rubbish! Easy to service, especially if you have general engineering skills. Get a service manual and you'll see that most years it is no more than an oil change.
    In my experience, every other year is just an oil change and anodes; but on the interevening years it's leg off and bellows as well. And every now and then you'll have some big expense (in my case I've variously had shaft seals, steering rams, steering hoses, pitted props, trim rams, gear selectors).

Volvo main agents quote about 500 for a standard d6 leg service, plus vat. So I wouldn't say that your article was wildly inaccurate.

Cheers
    Jimmy

omega2 is online now Registered User

Been there got the T shirt, would not entertain another one. Stick to your old fashioned shafts mate do yourself a favour.

Ripster is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by omega2 View Post
    Been there got the T shirt, would not entertain another one. Stick to your old fashioned shafts mate do yourself a favour.
    Listen to these wise words. I once went astray and had a boat with a Leg (Merc BII) it alone cost me more lost season time than all the other issues I have suffered put together - never again for me either. I am sure they can be fine, but my experience is not good once they get a few years old.
    Think outside the box.

There's probably quite a of lot of 'it depends...' in these answers. My most successful outdrive ownership experience was with a 25ft Regal speedboat which had a 350mag on a b3 outdrive. The key here was that I kept it out of the water on a hydrohoist. The T37 I had with kad44's on outdrives was ok, but my d6-350s on dph's have had a fairly high cost of ownership thus far, although when taken in the context of the overall value of the boat, it's kinda in line with what you'd expect.

Cheers
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim@sea View Post
    As I expect my next boat to be a diesel stern-drive I read with some alarm that In this months Powerboat & Rib magazine they have a guide to buying Second Hand Boats which says ""That a full service on a stern-drive will be around 500 a year"". Is it really that expensive ?.
    The boat I have just sold had a shaft drive which needed no maintenance whatsoever during the 6 years I had it.
    What is so complicated about Stern Drive.
    I am quite good at repairs. (I had a garage for 20 years) Can you service them yourself.
    (looking for a 22 - 26 ft diesel cruiser preferably on a trailer, age 1999 - 2004)
    As JTB says, wildly inaccurate.
    Far far far more in France
    Actually, I had one explode;the whole thing went though the casing. That wasnt #500.
    #5000 maybe. Someone else rather generously picked up the bill.
    So, all quite fine and reasonable unless they go wrong. But hell-they have been making them since the 60s I think, so
    HTML Code:
     they cant be that bad.
    #500 a year might not be that wrong over a long period, but 250-350 an on going average I reckon.

kashurst is online now Registered User

older out drives can be a lot of trouble. If you really like the particular boat it would probably worth fitting or having the existing leg totally rebuilt to get the best from it. I believe you can buy new/copy legs too. I had a boat with an out drive once. I now have a boat with shafts.
    If you are doing mostly slow/river/lake stuff find a shaft drive boat you like instead. The fuel difference is seldom worth the hassle.

epervier is offline Registered User

My last boat had drives, not that expensive to live with if you're a competent DIYer, the real PITA is discarded fishing line, in my last season with the boat, twice had picked up fishing line between the duo props and cut into the shaft oil seals and at 63 for the two seals + oil + liftout/in, you tend to have a sense of humour failure.
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

oGaryo is offline Registered User

one of the reasons I went for Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive on the current boat and the other two before that.. simple construction when compaired to BII and III drives, not had a problem with them yet and thus far, well within reach of my DIY capabilities.
    Beauty's in the eye of the beer holder

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast