benlui is offline Registered User

Default greek flag boat, running trips in croatia?

Does anyone know what problems one could expect, if operating a Greek flagged boat in Croatia, for the purpose of Adventure sailing tours, selling places by the berth? The boats would operate throughout the season, starting a new trip each week.

any help/advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

Yes, the crew list!
    You can only have 2.5 multiplied by the number of berths, as passangers each year, and I assme you must be Croatian registered to take paying pasengers.

Do you know where i can find more information on this 2.5 pax per no. of berths?
    Yes, the business would be legally operated in Croatia, just that boats would be greek.

It's the vignette which has a maximum crew size based I think on the rating plate, so for us it's 14 people allowed on a 12m boat. The crew are allowed to change 2.5 times so allowing us 35 different people in total for the year.

For us that's way more than we'll ever get or want as guests during the year but it would severely limit chartering. All charter boats I've seen have been Croatian flagged if based in Croatia, though there are plenty of Italian flagged charter boats whove done the overnight sail from their base and return at the end of their charter.

Ok thanks for the info. Will have to look into it in more dept.
    If anyone else had further clarification, would be much appreciated.
    Its just that the charter costs in Greece are a lot cheaper, making this type of holidays viable......

Quote Originally Posted by benlui View Post
    Ok thanks for the info. Will have to look into it in more dept.
    If anyone else had further clarification, would be much appreciated.
    Its just that the charter costs in Greece are a lot cheaper, making this type of holidays viable......
    Yes, there is a reason why things are cheaper in Greece. think you will find that many of the UK orientated charter operations have pulled out of Croatia because of the high costs and difficulties of operating there.

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

See http://www.jimbsail.info/drupal/goin...ntries/croatia for sailing regulations affecting leisure vessels under 24m when visiting Croatia.

Note: leisure vessels! Total crew names which may be carried on board are deliberately limited to prevent "cabotage" - carrying paying passengers between one place and another within a country without meeting that country's regulations concerning passenger carriage; ie, regulations governing charter vessels. Stuff like boat inventory, marine survey, captain's competence etc.

Speak with a local tax adviser before considering running charter activites in another country! The hurdles to jump are often quite high, to protect local businesses.
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

Hum......Ill be visiting Croatia soon to investigate further in debt. Looks like foreign flagged boats do have a lot of restrictions and i'm certainly glad, i have more info now moving forward.

Very good info, thanks a lot gentlemen.....