Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by kcrane View Post

If we have a reasonable connection we can use the iPad with TVCatchup, iPlayer (and ITV equivalents), Netflix, Lovefilm etc. plus if we cared to we could get a Sky contract at home and then use the Sky viewer app. It rather 'wastes' the saloon TV but an iPad propped up on the table is OK and we can even watch different things if need be, and also watch in the cabins and on deck.

Against these internet based alternatives where we get enhanced connections for regular internet use as well as access to TV I'm thinking the cost of the sat dish doesn't make much sense. We can also try the internet alternatives before splashing out if they don't work well enough.

Thoughts, ideas, experiences?
    I use a 3 Mifi on the canals and it works great stuck in the window.

To watch on the actual TV, I log on with the laptop, then use an HDMI cable to the TV.

Slightly cumbersome, but it means we get TV on the TV, including the Sky mobile channels.

If you can get a Mifi with 20Gb in Jersey, that has to be the way to go initially. Not sure where you get 500 of up front costs though. The Mifi is about 80 from 3, or you can get them unlocked on eBay.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

kcrane is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post
    I use a 3 Mifi on the canals and it works great stuck in the window.

To watch on the actual TV, I log on with the laptop, then use an HDMI cable to the TV.

Slightly cumbersome, but it means we get TV on the TV, including the Sky mobile channels.

If you can get a Mifi with 20Gb in Jersey, that has to be the way to go initially. Not sure where you get 500 of up front costs though. The Mifi is about 80 from 3, or you can get them unlocked on eBay.
    Yes, I have the 3 mi-fi (the newer one with one button is better) and it works well, I suspect there is room for a much better aerial than in a phone. However in dodgy signal areas it ran too slow to stream TV.

My plan is to have a chunky aerial on the coachroof connected to a control box which rebroadcasts a strong 3G signal on the boat, and also passes upstream data through the same booster. That's what I've ordered for 500.

Hopefully that will give me a reliable quick 3G connection on the boat (and will improve things for any other mobile user within 250m!). I'll then use the Jersey Telecom mi-fi to connect to the fabulous 3G signal and stream TV to iPads. In the UK we'll use our existing iPhones as they have 'all you can eat' contracts, so no need for a mi-fi, they should also get good signals through the booster.

Well that is the idea anyway...