itspaul is offline Registered User

Default Saildrive service

Hi All our boat is being lifted on tuesday for its annual maintenanace and i was looking at the quote for servicing the saildrive leg its a volvo penta 130s if my memory serves me. Last year we had the shaft re surfaced as there was a groove where the seal sits so all shoud be well this year just new seals anodes and new oil ..... the quote is over 800 this sounds like a lot can any give me any idea of labour times involved ? its a fixed prop if that makes any difference thanks

All that is normally required is an oil and anode change checking the oil coming out is not contaminated
    The anode needs doing out of water but on the 130 can be pumped out from top.
    An hours work biggest problem could be getting oil drain plug out if doing it out of water .
    It's one of the easiest jobs to DIY.
    Labour depends on rate 30-70 plus oil and zinc ?
    Always worth removing and regreasing prop so that it will not seize on the spline.

Edit compare with costs previous year and deduct 2-300
    Last edited by scottie; 17-03-12 at 09:25. Reason: Add info

As said, the oil can be pumped out from the top, but even draining from the bottom is not a big deal. Assume they have changed to engine oil rather than ATF in line with Volvos latest recommendation. Seals should not need replacing after only one year unless the rebuilt shaft has failed. anode change is quick and easy. The money is in the seals. An oil and anode change should be no more than 2 hours - plus oil and anode. Less than 200/250 Euros.

thats interesting as i'm not sure what oil is in ther now about two years ago when the leg was serviced the oil was chandged to engine oil shortly afterwards we had the forward clutch fail in the saildrive this was rebuilt by volvo in palma and they said to go back to atf ????? so im not sure what was put in last year

Just checked boat paperwork and drive is actually 120S D sorry if that affects anything
    Last edited by itspaul; 17-03-12 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by itspaul View Post
    thats interesting as i'm not sure what oil is in ther now about two years ago when the leg was serviced the oil was chandged to engine oil shortly afterwards we had the forward clutch fail in the saildrive this was rebuilt by volvo in palma and they said to go back to atf ????? so im not sure what was put in last year

Just checked boat paperwork and drive is actually 120S D sorry if that affects anything
    The change in oil only affects 130 drives. Little difference in times to change oil and anodes tho' - the prop has to come off for the 120 but the anode is about half the price. Surprised they rebuilt it - when my clutch failed we replaced the whole drive as the view was that cost of the rebuild makes a new one much more sense.

The clutch was rebuilt as we were actually using the boat at the time and it was the quickest option until volvo rebuilt the shaft incorrectly the engineer fitted it only to discover there was still a problem and the shaft had to be stripped out again and returned to volvo they rebuiltit but refused to cover the engineers costs to remove and replace as he wasnt on there approved list ........

colhel is offline Registered User

Hi All our boat is being lifted on tuesday for its annual maintenanace and i was looking at the quote for servicing the saildrive leg its a volvo penta 130s if my memory serves me. Last year we had the shaft re surfaced as there was a groove where the seal sits so all shoud be well this year just new seals anodes and new oil ..... the quote is over €800 this sounds like a lot can any give me any idea of labour times involved ? its a fixed prop if that makes any difference thanks
    Is it possible this includes the engine service? Even if it does it still sounds too much.
    For the saildrive using Volvo's own, the main Anode will be around 35.00 and take 5 minutes to change. The folding prop Anodes (3 off) from memory are about the same. And 2.6 litres of engine oil. Volvos' own is about 30.00 for 5 litres, but I use normal non-synthetic engine oil.
    Total time less than 2 hours. The prop should be easy(ish) to remove as this is on a spline.

Edit: this is for the 120 saildrive
    Last edited by colhel; 17-03-12 at 12:54. Reason: err

Jeannius is offline Registered User

Hi All our boat is being lifted on tuesday for its annual maintenanace and i was looking at the quote for servicing the saildrive leg its a volvo penta 130s if my memory serves me. Last year we had the shaft re surfaced as there was a groove where the seal sits so all shoud be well this year just new seals anodes and new oil ..... the quote is over €800 this sounds like a lot can any give me any idea of labour times involved ? its a fixed prop if that makes any difference thanks
    I removed a Volvo fixed prop, changed anode, oil and oil seals between tides, beached. I think I had 4 hours. That was the first time I'd done the job so for a professional it should be half that time.

Mind you, the incoming tide did concentrate my mind on getting the job done.