lefkasman is offline Registered User

Default Cert of Competence ?

I was clearing out a desk draw and came across this...

OK so perhaps I should clear out the desk a little more often, but such nostalgia...oh me lost youth !!

And yes it is your Jim Baerselmen

timbartlett Guest

My ex-wife used to work for Blue Water Sailing -- before we were married.
    I worked for the outfit next door!
    And a few years later I spent many happy (?) hours welding steel plate onto the side of Blue Arcadia to beef up the porous remains of the original. Was she still in use in 1985?

Easticks28 is offline Registered User

Would that be the same Tim Bartlett who used to own a 'Yeoman' keel boat about 20 years ago?

timbartlett Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Easticks28 View Post
    Would that be the same Tim Bartlett who used to own a 'Yeoman' keel boat about 20 years ago?
    Yes. I presume I know you from .... Warsash SC??

toad_oftoadhall is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by timbartlett View Post
    Yes.
    To which the response is sure to be: "You knocked three of my stanchions off in St Malo, and sailed off!!!!"

Easticks28 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by timbartlett View Post
    Yes. I presume I know you from .... Warsash SC??
    No - I bought her and sailed her very happily on the Norfolk Broads untill parting with her in 2004. Now sail a Broads River Cruiser.
    Sadly no (digital) photo of Blue Print (later Pipedream), but our present boat here http://www.ea-cc.org/default.asp?id=...m=GdQ2Qf0jiClO

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Ooops! Guilty m'lud.

And I was roundly ticked off by the RYA (quite rightly) for using their Examiner credentials outside the formal structure of RYA examinations! We subsequently agreed with the local port police that they'd accept company certificates of competence without reference to the RYA, but the company must then take responsibility any incidents involving lack of client skill. Which we did anyway . . .
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

timbartlett Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Easticks28 View Post
    No - I bought her and sailed her very happily on the Norfolk Broads untill parting with her in 2004. Now sail a Broads River Cruiser.
    Sadly no (digital) photo of Blue Print (later Pipedream), but our present boat here http://www.ea-cc.org/default.asp?id=...m=GdQ2Qf0jiClO
    Bootiful! Really. Lovely.

lefkasman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaerselman View Post
    Ooops! Guilty m'lud.

And I was roundly ticked off by the RYA (quite rightly) for using their Examiner credentials outside the formal structure of RYA examinations! We subsequently agreed with the local port police that they'd accept company certificates of competence without reference to the RYA, but the company must then take responsibility any incidents involving lack of client skill. Which we did anyway . . .
    Sorry to see that you got into trouble with the RYA Jim, I can well remember that holiday 27 years ago, you were running a flotilla/windsurfing/dingy sailing company called Falcon Sailing here in Nidri Lefkada, the booking conditions required that prospective clients provided details of their sailing experience and in return the "certificate of competence " was issued presumably to satisfy regulations that were in force at the time.

The holiday incidentally was "bitter sweet" we elected for what was called a "pot luck villa flotilla", one week on shore windsurfing or dingy sailing, during that time we were expected to meet and select a couple with whom to share a Cobra 850 not the most spacious of yachts for a weeks sailing around the local islands.

The couple we met seemed fine on shore but in the confines of a small boat we found that we were totally incompatible, on the first leg of the trip to Meganisi the male declared that he was a nudist! you can imagine the embarrassment that caused, however we stuck it out which is more than some of the other pot luck crews did, I felt quite sorry for the lead crew who had the unenviable job of rearranging the crews on some of the other boats, needless to say we never booked another pot luck sailing holiday.

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lefkasman View Post
    The couple we met seemed fine on shore but in the confines of a small boat we found that we were totally incompatible, on the first leg of the trip to Meganisi the male declared that he was a nudist!
    Nothing wrong with that - but you'd have thought he'd have mentioned it before you got on board!

Pete