Default Advice needed for vetus exhaust hose

My Westerly Storm is powered by a Volvo 2002.
    The exhaust hose goes from the elbow downwards and does a 180 flat loop under the engine before running back to the water muffler/Trap. This loop lies flat in the bilge under the engine and at times lays in spilt diesel and bilge water.
    Today I removed the pipe from the exhaust elbow and pulled it out, and indeed where it had been lying flat the pipe had degraded. As there was plenty of hose my thoughts were cut out the rotten bit, and connect it back, leaving a shorter hose that would not lie in the bilge of the engine bay.
    With the elbow removed and greased, and the pipe heated I could not get it to go on all the way. It looked as if the inner lining was concertinering as I tried to pushed it on.
    I have now removed the whole piece and decided to replace with new. My questions are;

Did this flat lying loop under the engine serve any purpose?

Once used does the inner lining of exhaust hose distort and become almost impossible to use again?

When pushing on the new hose can I twist the elbow down the pipe using the wire reinforcement as a thread?
    Any tips will be gratefully received.

Default exhaust hose

I cant see what purpose this loop would have. It would probably collect water which should
    be going into the water trap. The flexible exhaust inside degrades over time and seems to
    set in the way it is originally installed. When new it is certainly easier to get onto the
    end of the exhaust manifold using something like fairy liquid and warming the rubber in
    hot water.

VicS is offline Registered User

The exhaust should fall as directly as possible to a water lock ... not a muffler.

It should then run to a swan neck that rises well above the water line before falling to the outlet.

The water lock should be large enough to contain all the water left in theexhaust system when the engine is stopped.

In some cases there may be a riser before the water injection point

See the info in the online Vetus catalogue.

A muffler is only required if additional silencing is necessary.

I have had to pull the wire reinforcing out of the rubber hose to make it fit but not a good idea I would think generally.

Thanks Vic, and Phil.
    I have a muffler, after which the hose, as you say goes as high as possible before dropping to the skin fitting outlet, so do I need the loop to give extra length to hold the water after engine turn off?

Sounds like it might be a good idea to remake the system with a water trap. There are schematics in the Vetus catalogue www.vetus.com You will find the new style hoses, either Vetus or Halyard are much easier to use than the old heavily wire reinforced type you probably have at the moment.

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Sounds like it might be a good idea to remake the system with a water trap. There are schematics in the Vetus catalogue www.vetus.com You will find the new style hoses, either Vetus or Halyard are much easier to use than the old heavily wire reinforced type you probably have at the moment.
    The exhaust system pages of the Vetus catalogue start at http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...c#/06fa8bec/68

While doing the exhaust hose also give some attention to the antisyphon / vacuum valve assuming you have one. consider fitting one if you dont.

With a VP 2002 the antisyphon valve is located in the discharge hose of the (raw) water pump rather than immediately before the injection point as shown in the Vetus catalog