Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine service

russ is offline Registered User

Default Engine service

Today I've had a go at doing my own service on the engine. Not a job I would like for a living. Its so awkward to get in and do anything.
    All filters were low down and so bloody tightly fitted. I ended up hammering a screwdriver through the oil filter in order to undo the thread.

One lesson learnt, I did not heat the engine up enough to make the oil a bit thinner for the extractor to work fast enough.
    Also chickened out on changing the plugs as my back was starting to ache and its just too low down. Job for Ross i think

I can't believe how much the mechanics are now charging for a simple service.
    Perhaps it is because they call themseves marine engineers and ramp up the prices.
    If your engine does not need to be plugged into a laptop do it yourself.
    I have twin engines and save myself a fortune,I know exactly what has been done and consider it all part of boating.
    My son is going to kill me if he reads this - he is one of the aforesaid marine grease monkies.

I agree although there is one forumite engineer that has very reasonable rates and there is no VAT added.

rafiki_ is offline Registered User

Careful Russ, some of us are Engineers, but not very good at fixing things. You need a mechanic or technician for this (sorry for the pedantry, but you wouldn't get a doctor to turn over your sheets in a hospital bed).

I use a really good guy for the bits that I can't or haven't time to do. He charges 35 per hour. He is based at Tewkesbury but will do work on the Thames if it makes sense for him to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    Careful Russ, some of us are Engineers, but not very good at fixing things. You need a mechanic or technician for this (sorry for the pedantry, but you wouldn't get a doctor to turn over your sheets in a hospital bed).

I use a really good guy for the bits that I can't or haven't time to do. He charges 35 per hour. He is based at Tewkesbury but will do work on the Thames if it makes sense for him to travel.
    Thats a good rate for the Thames.

Use Ross, he has great rates, is a really nice guy and he's little to get into all the small spaces

Sorry Ross!

boatone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    Use Ross, he has great rates, is a really nice guy and he's little to get into all the small spaces

Sorry Ross!
    Shhhhhh..... if he gets too busy he'll not be available when we want him !

He certainly gets my vote though.
    Thames MotorBoater? Care about the river? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    Shhhhhh..... if he gets too busy he'll not be available when we want him !

He certainly gets my vote though.
    Here here!

Take care, if this chap Ross gets too many accolades his prices will go up. I can't even afford my own son's rates as he's fully booked all year round

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    Today I've had a go at doing my own service on the engine. Not a job I would like for a living. Its so awkward to get in and do anything.
    All filters were low down and so bloody tightly fitted. I ended up hammering a screwdriver through the oil filter in order to undo the thread.

One lesson learnt, I did not heat the engine up enough to make the oil a bit thinner for the extractor to work fast enough.
    Also chickened out on changing the plugs as my back was starting to ache and its just too low down. Job for Ross i think
    get a filter wrench of a type that will give best operation position
    I may be wrong but not always