Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Engine service

  1. #1
    russ is offline Registered User
    Location : North East Hampshire
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    342

    Default Engine service

    Today I've had a go at doing my own service on the engine. Not a job I would like for a living. Its so awkward to get in and do anything.
    All filters were low down and so bloody tightly fitted. I ended up hammering a screwdriver through the oil filter in order to undo the thread.

    One lesson learnt, I did not heat the engine up enough to make the oil a bit thinner for the extractor to work fast enough.
    Also chickened out on changing the plugs as my back was starting to ache and its just too low down. Job for Ross i think

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    I can't believe how much the mechanics are now charging for a simple service.
    Perhaps it is because they call themseves marine engineers and ramp up the prices.
    If your engine does not need to be plugged into a laptop do it yourself.
    I have twin engines and save myself a fortune,I know exactly what has been done and consider it all part of boating.
    My son is going to kill me if he reads this - he is one of the aforesaid marine grease monkies.

  3. #3
    russ is offline Registered User
    Location : North East Hampshire
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    342

    Default

    I agree although there is one forumite engineer that has very reasonable rates and there is no VAT added.

  4. #4
    rafiki_'s Avatar
    rafiki_ is offline Registered User
    Location : Stratford on Avon
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,309

    Default

    Careful Russ, some of us are Engineers, but not very good at fixing things. You need a mechanic or technician for this (sorry for the pedantry, but you wouldn't get a doctor to turn over your sheets in a hospital bed).

    I use a really good guy for the bits that I can't or haven't time to do. He charges 35 per hour. He is based at Tewkesbury but will do work on the Thames if it makes sense for him to travel.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    Careful Russ, some of us are Engineers, but not very good at fixing things. You need a mechanic or technician for this (sorry for the pedantry, but you wouldn't get a doctor to turn over your sheets in a hospital bed).

    I use a really good guy for the bits that I can't or haven't time to do. He charges 35 per hour. He is based at Tewkesbury but will do work on the Thames if it makes sense for him to travel.
    Thats a good rate for the Thames.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Use Ross, he has great rates, is a really nice guy and he's little to get into all the small spaces

    Sorry Ross!

  7. #7
    boatone's Avatar
    boatone is offline Registered User
    Location : On the one way system by the Traffic Lights...
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    11,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    Use Ross, he has great rates, is a really nice guy and he's little to get into all the small spaces

    Sorry Ross!
    Shhhhhh..... if he gets too busy he'll not be available when we want him !

    He certainly gets my vote though.
    Thames MotorBoater? Care about the river? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

  8. #8
    russ is offline Registered User
    Location : North East Hampshire
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    Shhhhhh..... if he gets too busy he'll not be available when we want him !

    He certainly gets my vote though.
    Here here!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    Take care, if this chap Ross gets too many accolades his prices will go up. I can't even afford my own son's rates as he's fully booked all year round

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    59,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    Today I've had a go at doing my own service on the engine. Not a job I would like for a living. Its so awkward to get in and do anything.
    All filters were low down and so bloody tightly fitted. I ended up hammering a screwdriver through the oil filter in order to undo the thread.

    One lesson learnt, I did not heat the engine up enough to make the oil a bit thinner for the extractor to work fast enough.
    Also chickened out on changing the plugs as my back was starting to ache and its just too low down. Job for Ross i think
    get a filter wrench of a type that will give best operation position
    I may be wrong but not always

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •