Razorfish is offline Registered User

Default Connecting an external antenna to an Icom handheld

Does anyone have experience of connecting an external antenna to an Icom handheld VHF (IC-M31)?

I have a couple and thought that I could set one up in the office to monitor broadcasts but given its location I would need to connect it to an external antenna. I cannot identify the connector type on the rubber duck so am scratching my head quite how to do this.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andy
    Fifteen men on a dead man's chest
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Reverend Ludd is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish View Post
    Does anyone have experience of connecting an external antenna to an Icom handheld VHF (IC-M31)?

I have a couple and thought that I could set one up in the office to monitor broadcasts but given its location I would need to connect it to an external antenna. I cannot identify the connector type on the rubber duck so am scratching my head quite how to do this.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andy
    Unscrew it and measure the threaded bit.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Look at this page

http://www.jgtech.com/shop3page2.htm

About half way down, in the ICOM Handhelds section, you will see an adapter for what you want.

(I am sure other suppliers are available )

Quote Originally Posted by mikemanor View Post

About half way down, in the ICOM Handhelds section, you will see an adapter for what you want.
    )
    Ah that looks hopeful. I was looking at Maplins thinking that it was a generic connector. I guess that this is an Icom specific one. 16 though, the sods.

Cheers,

Andy

Handheld aerial connectors are usually either SMA (50 ohm) or a special proprietary connector. I believe Icom is SMA. You need to look under 'specification' in the manual and it should tell you.

Boathook is offline Registered User

I purchased the adaptor bit when I purchased the radio from a 'radio' shop. I suspect that maplins or others do a connector and the easiest way is to take the radio and aerial in to the shop and ask.

Thanks Boathook, I think that you may be right. Sometimes simply going over to the shop is quicker than scratching your head and looking at the web.

Cheers,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish View Post
    Ah that looks hopeful. I was looking at Maplins thinking that it was a generic connector. I guess that this is an Icom specific one. 16 though, the sods.

Cheers,

Andy
    It is a generic connector about 3.oo in Maplins and easy enough to find on the connector stand if the same as other Icams and Yaesu

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories
    Last edited by Bilgediver; 19-03-12 at 10:56.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

I bought an adapter recently and no problems testing it on my Cobra hand held.

Maplin are probably the best bet unless you are buying a few other connectors as well. I bought several connectors from "26hb896" (Rocket Radio Letchworth) on eBay as they happened to have all the different connectors I needed. Never used them before but feedback was 100%, prices were OK and delivery was quick.

It was listed under:
    PL259 PLUG (SO239 SOCKET) to SMA MALE PLUG ADAPTOR

Sod's law, they are'nt advertising that connector just now, but plenty of others are if local Maplin don't have any either.