Hybrid View

Default Brighton to Hasler update

Saturday forecast looked a little heavy on the westerly gusts so we opted for Sunday morning for our epic voyage.

Up early and on the boat by 6am and outside Brighton marina by 6.30 just before the tide turns west. Wind unfortunaltly was very light and so we had to motor sail fior the first 2 hours then it became a bit of gusts weterly to 10 knots which gave a chance to get the motor off and sail.

Went for the Loe channnel which we got through before the tide turned and made Hsler portsmouth after 9 hours. Not bad going for a 21 ft boat. Lovely welcome at Hasler and we found them very friendly people, trying hard to accomodate peeps needs.

Then it we a train back, pick up car and home. The return train journey took 1 hour!!!!

So the boat now has a new home for the season, new cruising ground and new adventures to explore. A different type of sailing to Brighton I suspect where we would go out and day sail, then back to the marina for a meal then home.

To all those that gave advice and support, many thanks it was appreciated and informative. With the weather being kind this trip was easy. Our only problem was a warning that the batteries were low, whci we were sure was false but to be sure we switched sat nav off, only using it for a fix every hour and resorted to the old fashoined bearings and fixes. A stopped outboard, which immedialtly re started we think this was air lock, and then a run in with the IOW ferry which did not want to give way to sail.

Seajet is offline Registered User

Powersalt,

glad to hear you made it and had a good trip.

You'll soon discover that the ferries take no prisoners, except strangely the hovercraft; they're always extremely considerate & professional, despite having the hardest things to manouvre !

The great thing about your new base is that there's actually somewhere interesting to go at weekends, turning left or right at Portsmouth entrance...

See you out there.
    Last edited by Seajet; 19-03-12 at 10:18.

Powersalt, welcome to Gosport, an up and coming jewel in the Solent

Pete
    Moody 31

I dont know about the up and coming jewel !!! but they were great at the marina and the train service back to Brighton was really quite easy.

The baot is actually my sons and I just get to crew when its rough or long trips but I used to keep my Moody in Hasler when they first opened some what 14 years ago. Living in Kent this journey will now be a nightmare for me but for my son just as easy as Brighton. So I might miss out on my day sails but he gains.

Sunday was a lovely day and there wernt many boats about at all. A missed opportunity me thinks

Flapjack is offline Registered User

Hi Powersalt, welcome to the Solent, if you are here for the season I can highly recommend turning left out of Portsmouth and spending a weekend sailing around Chi harbour, lots of places to drop an anchor or pick up a buoy and some lovely pubs to visit
    Alcohol doesnít make you fat it makes you lean..
    On bar, tables, chairs, ugly people..

And if you do fancy just a daysail try going North and exploring the the strange muddy upper reaches of the harbour. Some of the natives are quite friendly!
    ۞

Glad you had a good trip. Solent has many little nooks and creeks to enjoy for a 21 footer. Depending on draft ( are u lifting keel?) you can explore where others fear to venture and little harbours such as Ventnor/Ryde are your kingdom as well.

We were out yesteray returning to Chi from Hamble overnight stop after our clubs final every month winter cruise series, and had an excellent couple of hours under spinny. Yes you were right, apart from the Hamble racing fleets I was surprised not many on the water yet.

As you found out the Ferries generally take no prisoners.

Brian

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    And if you do fancy just a daysail try going North and exploring the the strange muddy upper reaches of the harbour. Some of the natives are quite friendly!
    They still wear woad up there!

But if you really want to see wild natives, observe les Demoiselles de Gozzi going across to Portsmouth on the ferry, from about 2000 hours any Saturday night.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    They still wear woad up there!

But if you really want to see wild natives, observe les Demoiselles de Gozzi going across to Portsmouth on the ferry, from about 2000 hours any Saturday night.
    A different type of sailing I suspect.

Re anchoring etc. IN a small boat, its not much good for the night. I like my home comforts lecy, hot meals, pub beer. etc

Blue5 is offline Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Powersalt View Post
    Saturday forecast looked a little heavy on the westerly gusts so we opted for Sunday morning for our epic voyage.

Up early and on the boat by 6am and outside Brighton marina by 6.30 just before the tide turns west. Wind unfortunaltly was very light and so we had to motor sail fior the first 2 hours then it became a bit of gusts weterly to 10 knots which gave a chance to get the motor off and sail.

Went for the Loe channnel which we got through before the tide turned and made Hsler portsmouth after 9 hours. Not bad going for a 21 ft boat. Lovely welcome at Hasler and we found them very friendly people, trying hard to accomodate peeps needs.

Then it we a train back, pick up car and home. The return train journey took 1 hour!!!!

So the boat now has a new home for the season, new cruising ground and new adventures to explore. A different type of sailing to Brighton I suspect where we would go out and day sail, then back to the marina for a meal then home.

To all those that gave advice and support, many thanks it was appreciated and informative. With the weather being kind this trip was easy. Our only problem was a warning that the batteries were low, whci we were sure was false but to be sure we switched sat nav off, only using it for a fix every hour and resorted to the old fashoined bearings and fixes. A stopped outboard, which immedialtly re started we think this was air lock, and then a run in with the IOW ferry which did not want to give way to sail.
    Haslar have got a very active and friendly yacht club, well worth considering

http://www.haslaryachtclub.co.uk/