Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

By the way that should be ipc and pbo dam this iPad and that port!

Quote Originally Posted by chinita View Post
    I was in Wells today and saw the Slug on her mooring.

I sat on the bench overlooking her and squinted hard to see if I could make her appear even slightly more attractive.

Didn't work; then the dog looked over at her, got spooked and ran away.

I was there Sunday took a couple of photos will post when i upload them of swmbo phone the princess looked very clean !

Edit late afternoon for an hr twas missed the rain !
    Last edited by fergie_mac66; 20-03-12 at 23:17.

Default budgets

Quote Originally Posted by smeaks View Post
    By the way that should be ipc and pbo dam this iPad and that port!
    you have no idea how tiny their editorial budgets are

it would blow their budget to peices for months

D

Seajet is offline Registered User

Have you tried a powerful (6-10hp) modern outboard on the slug? Given the high resale prices of these engines it might make economic sense.

With all due respect, **** All seamanship sense though !!! Not utterly convinced about high resale values either !

Yantlet is offline Registered User

My vote also goes to the replacement inboard, lets face it how long has it taken you to reach The Wash!!! And with the prospect of several more years ahead once you get around the top and reach the interesting bits.
    Green Bay Auckland New Zealand
    "Time And Tide Wait For No Man"

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    An under-16 year old sailed a bilge-keeled inboard-engined pocket cruiser?

No reason why not, of course, but it seems an odd choice.

Pete
    Odd choice? Arthur Ransome did not just write about dinghies. After reading the Big Six I yearned for a boat with a cabin. Those feelings are still with me today.

I think it is a very sensible choice.

I replaced the engine (Yanmar) in my last boat with a SH Nanni, with a lot of planing took about 4 hours to do. The main thing is the relationship of your beds and shaft.

Hang on a min, isn't it just the gearbox that has an issue? A lot of the other bits and bobs are still sound or have been replaced, mounts, cutless, pipework haven't they?

If it was me i would just look at that now and spend a little money on getting that sorted.

I don't get it. Looking at that video the engine starts and runs like a champ, in a sense it and the Slug are what inspired/ attracts
    TheKTL ethos?
    To sell out now for a posher limo, well I dunno.

Four new engine bearers and a cutlass bearing, job done?
    Why argue with a nautical wall? I just read the graffiti these days.

Default replaced already

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboatman View Post
    I don't get it. Looking at that video the engine starts and runs like a champ, in a sense it and the Slug are what inspired/ attracts
    TheKTL ethos?
    To sell out now for a posher limo, well I dunno.

Four new engine bearers and a cutlass bearing, job done?

I have already replaced the engine bearings and the cutlass gland

and the engine still shakes itself around like a goodun - you should hear the cutlery rattle

when push comes to shove it has a great big fly wheel because a single cyclinder engine produces a really uneven torque and is inherently unbalanced.

gearbox and linkages still in need of work - it has yet to throw problems at me with the fuel pump or the crazy unrepeated engineering miracle that is humorously called a dynastart

if they were any good we would be using them on our cars

as for the KTL ethos.... which is get out and sail regardless

300 subscribers and 20 disk sets a week

that suggests that the ktl ethos is not working when it comes to attracting a paying audience

certainly the ethos of sail now - fix later..... when applied to a 50 year old boat - is a dangerous philosophy and will be even more dangerous as I get further away from help

right now I am contemplating the simple journey from Wells to the Humber

60 miles

I need a weather window that would allow me to use the Honda should the beast pack up if I am to avoid being out at night in some pretty busy shipping lanes

but at least the sail now idea gets more sailing done than the fix it all first - had I done that I would still be in that boatyard on the IoW or the boat would have been brought back to the garden and I would still be tinkering with it.

Either the slug needs a massive injection of capital

or

I need to get rid

just imagine the humilation should I end up buying a round of drinks for one of the Scottish RNLI crews I end up calling

and you can bet that there would be a lot of posts on here from the RYA qualified 100,000 modern lozenge owners attacking me for being a new Captain Calamity.

Can you imagine - "this foolish bloke set off in a 50 year old boat with a gear change made of string"

and the Glasgow herald have already attacked me for my "wining semi-suburban Esssex drone"

with the help fo the Honda outboard I am proabably okay for the next summer on the Tyne and the Humber - but next winter really is crunch time for the slug

Dylan
    Last edited by dylanwinter; 21-03-12 at 09:12.