Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by SAWDOC View Post
    I bought a Gladiateur last year which came equipped with an Autohelm 2000. If you look up the raymarine website this appears a little underspec for a boat of the displacement of the Gladiateur (5000kg) however it has worked fine on the few occasions we tried it out last season. The ST4000 would be a better if more expensive option and would no doubt give a bit more control if you see yourself using an autopilot in heavy weather. However this model has been withdrawn by raymarine in favour of newer designs of which I have no experience.
    The key to success with any self steering system particularly one which can drain down your batteries is to use it with a balanced set of sails thereby reducing power draw.
    The autopilot which has just stopped working was an autohelm 2000 - worked well for nearly 20 years which is impressive. Seems the more recent model is the spx5 plus, but around 1000!

Your video on YouTube is great!

I think you're referring to 'wind trim' mode where it uses info from the masthead wind 'vane'
    No, there was a separate wind-vane accessory - I know, because I still have part of one! I used it briefly with an ST1000 but the autopilot was too small for my 33' boat, so I upgraded to an ST4000 which works fine - and will slave to the masthead wind instrument.

rob2 is offline Registered User

Yes I remember using the windvane on a cross-channel night passage. It was mounted on a short pole and plugged into the earlier Autohelms with a jackplug. Had to trim initially to the compass so as to allow for the downdraught from the mainsail, but it worked really well, maintaining a beat all night - mind you it was a CO26 we were sailing!

Rob.

puddock is offline Registered User

I'm not going to recommend one over another, as I only have experience of the Simrad TP32.
    I have used this regularly on my Westerly Storm 33, in weather upto Force 6, it has been used all day in pouring rain (more often than not up here ) and I have never had a single problem with it. If I remember correctly, it was a size up from the 'recommended TP22 (?) but has served me extremely well, holding a course well and the lack of an LCD screen has never proved any sort of disadvantage. Controls are intuitive and simple.
    I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

SAWDOC is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    The autopilot which has just stopped working was an autohelm 2000 - worked well for nearly 20 years which is impressive. Seems the more recent model is the spx5 plus, but around 1000!
    Yes - disgusting isn't it! Hope my 2000 model lasts another couple of seasons!

MM5AHO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by puddock View Post
    I'm not going to recommend one over another, as I only have experience of the Simrad TP32.
    I have used this regularly on my Westerly Storm 33, in weather upto Force 6, it has been used all day in pouring rain (more often than not up here ) and I have never had a single problem with it. If I remember correctly, it was a size up from the 'recommended TP22 (?) but has served me extremely well, holding a course well and the lack of an LCD screen has never proved any sort of disadvantage. Controls are intuitive and simple.
    +1
    same here. Rival 32. Singlehanded to F6-7 OK.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by puddock View Post
    This looks more the thing - should be about right for the size of the boat, for half the price. Would guess that your Storm is similar in tiller loads to the gladiator. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    No, there was a separate wind-vane accessory - I know, because I still have part of one! I used it briefly with an ST1000 but the autopilot was too small for my 33' boat, so I upgraded to an ST4000 which works fine - and will slave to the masthead wind instrument.
    I stand corrected. Sounds like a useful backup to have for when the masthead vane stops working, like mine has...

puddock is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    This looks more the thing - should be about right for the size of the boat, for half the price. Would guess that your Storm is similar in tiller loads to the gladiator. Thanks!
    I'd imagine it would be more than suitable for your needs. Tiller loads are low when you have the sails trimmed well and the weather is behaving, it's when the going gets a little rougher than you'll be thankful for something a little 'beefier'.
    I must say, I have never noticed any significant or unmanageable power draw even after a long day of use.

I run a Simrad TP22 on my little 23ft boat, which is probably a touch overkill. Always seems to work ok. Links with GPS with no major dramas.

To be honest, all of them are over priced for the relative lack of engineering inside them but the Simrad has always worked (if a touch noisy)