ERICH is offline Registered User

Smile Passage from Portishead Marina to Holyhead

Dear Forumites

I am looking to help a friend sail his newly acquired 40' yacht from Portishead Marina (near Avonmouth Docks) back to our home port of Holyhead' departure around mid April ( tide timing important given the strength of flow !)

Has anyone undertaken a similar trip and any tips & advice; including stopping points etc. would be gratefully received ?

NB We are OK on the last bit into Holyhead but would appreciate any/all advice and tips from Portishead into an overnight stop in Pembroke e.g. Milford Haven etc. then the the first bit heading up Cardigan (will probably go straight for H/H)

ERICH

It sounds like you plan to do pretty big legs. In a 40' yacht I would be tempted to leave a little before high tide and head straight down to Dale. Even at 40' you would struggle to make it to Oxwich in one tide, so I would just put up with it and carry on. Obviously a lot depends on the wind and how much you would like to motor.
    Unless you want to stay a while in Milford, Dale is the best place to stop in my opinion. Either at anchor or on the pontoon in the bay.
    From Dale it's around St Davids with the tide and up into your home patch.
    If you need any crew give me a shout, it sounds like fun.
    Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    It sounds like you plan to do pretty big legs. In a 40' yacht I would be tempted to leave a little before high tide and head straight down to Dale. Even at 40' you would struggle to make it to Oxwich in one tide, so I would just put up with it and carry on. Obviously a lot depends on the wind and how much you would like to motor.
    Unless you want to stay a while in Milford, Dale is the best place to stop in my opinion. Either at anchor or on the pontoon in the bay.
    From Dale it's around St Davids with the tide and up into your home patch.
    If you need any crew give me a shout, it sounds like fun.
    Allan
    Leave dale at MH low +1? gives an hour and a half to get to jack sound? then he has enough time to get to ramsey for slack there and a good push up north, then work out bardsey sound passage times and adjust acordingly?
    Stu

Tides can work for and against you in the Bristol channel. Personnally I would leave Portishead at HW-1 and try to get to Swansea on the ebb tide, anchoring just off the Mumbles. At HW-2 head off and head for Milford Haven - or continue with the rest of the trip without having to anchor.

Might be worth bearing in mind that there are no suitable 'ports of refuge' between Milford Haven and the North West tip of Wales so you'll want to watch the weather!

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Tides can work for and against you in the Bristol channel. Personnally I would leave Portishead at HW-1 and try to get to Swansea on the ebb tide, anchoring just off the Mumbles. At HW-2 head off and head for Milford Haven - or continue with the rest of the trip without having to anchor.

Might be worth bearing in mind that there are no suitable 'ports of refuge' between Milford Haven and the North West tip of Wales so you'll want to watch the weather!
    Fishguard is ok in all but a bad northerly, Pwllheli is iffy now at low water. Next week is looking good with hi forecast and easterlys
    Stu

As has been said dont leave Portishead more than an hour before HW especially on springs its just a waste of time and fuel. Once past Nash point tidal streams get weaker except for races on headlands.

I see the boat's back in the water. Are you planning on going soon?

They left today but it appears that they've deactivated the AIS ........ pity because they might make record time and would have been good to follow them around.
    Certainly looked like they were flying when they past my place lunchtime
    A tad too much sail up I thinks

I noticed Blue Pearl on K pontoon, Swansea, tonight opposite our boat Cobra 850. You must have had an interesting sail this weekend?
    Lancelot