Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PRH is offline Registered User

I ain't been no where yet. Have a tentative plan to go to Yarmouth in a week or so. Will look you up if we get to Cowes. Still want to look over that new boat.....

Quote Originally Posted by PRH View Post
    I ain't been no where yet. Have a tentative plan to go to Yarmouth in a week or so. Will look you up if we get to Cowes. Still want to look over that new boat.....
    Be great to catch up, we should be on her all over Easter too.
    New website - www.rapidmarine.co.uk

Looks like my bug in the update theory may have been right. There has been a further update come out for the copies on my iPhone and the apps are now starting to reappear on the App Store.
    Living the dream!
    www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk

Hurricane is offline Registered User

Nothing new on the Android front.
    IMO, the Android version of the Navionics App is a heap of ?hit.
    Not like the iPhone version at all.

I've just installed the HD version on my new iPad and - wow. It's a pleasure to use, so much nicer than on the cramped iPhone screen and the less responsive Raymarine chart plotter.
    I'll definitely be creating new routes on the iPad from now on.
    Living the dream!
    www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk

Hurricane is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
    Thats one of the things that I complained to Navionics about on the Android version.

I installed the Android version on my Asus Transformer Android tablet. This version is supposed to be "in line" with the iPhone/iPad versions - it's NOT.

Using the Android version, it's virtually impossible to create an accurate route. You can only add or delete a waypoint so it depends on how accurate your finger is when you enter the waypoint. If you get it wrong you have to delete the waypoint and re enter it - It's the same for individual waypoints.
    It could drive you to drink!!!

On the other hand, the measuring facility is very accurate so I know it's possible - they just dont want the hassle of writing the software.

Other things I complained about:-

If you DO manage to get a route entered, it doesn't synchronise (like it should) to other devices - individual waypoints do.

There's no way of exporting waypoints etc which makes routes and waypoints meaningless - IMHO

Although stating otherwise, the app still displays some screens in portrait so if you are using it in landscape orientation, you are forever turning it round.

Finally, the Navionics app is very dependant upon the internet - something I really dont want.

What I found most disturbing. Instead of apologising and saying that we will fix all this in the next release, they went all defensive and tried to say that everything was OK - it's a bit like saying that Black is White.

As an alternative, I'm using MM Tracker which IMO significantly out performs Navionics but it uses raster charts which might be difficult for most people to use.

However - that said - the Navionics App for the Android will be great - when they's finished it!!
    Last edited by Hurricane; 23-03-12 at 11:09.

John100156 is offline Registered User

Mike - I know you're not one for following convention or taking the easy way out, which is probably why you drive a new P67 and I drive an old F43...

But get rid of the Betamax and invest in an iPad-3 with the HD Navionics App (Europe HD Version: 2.5.1 - GeoCore version: 01.00.26.3) - you know it makes sense...

I'm out of here.....

SEALINE F43 - CORAL RAE

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Nothing new on the Android front.
    IMO, the Android version of the Navionics App is a heap of ?hit.
    Not like the iPhone version at all.
    IMHO, Android tablets in general are a bit of a disappointment once one has been spoiled by an iPad. Being a techno fan I had to try both, R&D budget you understand, but after a month ditched the droid and kept the fruit machine. Android on tabs remind me of Romania. Android is a little like desktop Linux, iOS is like using a MacBook. Walking freely around a boardroom the other day giving a wireless presentation from a hand held iPad (ie wireless HDMI) impressed the clients. Navionics app has impressed onboard as a backup to our Garmin plotter setup, but the other apps such as TidesPlan and Weather4D really impress.
    Ocean Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
    I've just installed the HD version on my new iPad and - wow. It's a pleasure to use, so much nicer than on the cramped iPhone screen and the less responsive Raymarine chart plotter.
    Yep me too. It became available on Thursday night. Have downloaded the charts and all seems to work great. Just need to try a wireless router on the boat next weekend!

Hurricane you can move the waypoints on an iPad if that gives you an excuse to buy one!