Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SlimRick is offline Registered User

Default Liveaboard and commute to London

Does anyone here liveaboard, and commute into London on a daily basis? I'm contemplating a change of jobs, and like the idea of living aboard my Achilles 840, but IT jobs around the coast seem a little thin on the ground, at least they do in the areas I'd like to live

Quote Originally Posted by SlimRick View Post
    Does anyone here liveaboard, and commute into London on a daily basis? I'm contemplating a change of jobs, and like the idea of living aboard my Achilles 840, but IT jobs around the coast seem a little thin on the ground, at least they do in the areas I'd like to live
    Daily, no but frequently, yes. My wife has been commuting to Reading and Brighton almost daily for the last two or three months.

Liveaboard? Not yet, but working on it.
    Commute to London? Not quite, but would like to get away from it!

We live in Southampton & are looking for boat to move onto, as the house is sold & we move out soon.
    My wife has untill very recently worked out of Richmond for 2 years & will probably be moving office to Heathrow.
    My depot is just inside the M25, but I work in the film industry, so the depot is only a jumping off point & 19 days out of 20 I end up in central London.
    It's a pain now, but a means to an end & with the kids moved out & the house sold, the end is in sight.
    The commute becomes a slog, I wouldn't recomend.

I commuted between our boat in Chatham Maritime and London for a short while a few years back. Wouldn't have liked to do it for long.
    Have you thought about St Kats or Surrey Docks?

If I were doing it I would just drop the mast and go up river-there are several interesting docks opposite Kew Gardens and if you are not of too deep a draft there is the Canal Basin at Brentford.
    You do see a few yachts with masts down moored up on this section of the River up to Richmond and beyond.

We are in Brighton and my wife commutes into London on a daily basis. Excellent links to Victoria and west via Clapham Junction taking 90 mins max on the most part. She considers every weekend to be a holiday and is not the only person that I know who considers that they leave the world behind as the gate on the ramp closes behind them. Definitely doable and worthwhile in our opinion.

Roaring Girl is offline Registered User
    Location : On the boat. But sadly right now she's in Malta while we try and earn money in the UK.

Did it frequently (tho not daily) when living aboard in Ipswich.

Two different things:

(i) as people have said the length of the commute is painful regardless of whether you live aboard or in a house - can you get up river to Brentford?
    (ii) if you are living aboard do give some particular consideration to managing clothing (not smelly, ironing, some hanging space, shoes) and to washing self and clothes. Depending on size and facilities aboard these may take longer.

But it's absolutely doable - we managed a business (and for about 18 months 2 businesses) from living aboard with a lot of travelling and biz dress involved, and it was fine.
    Pip & Sarah (formerly abigail)
    www.sailblogs.com/member/roaringgirl

Quote Originally Posted by ffiill View Post
    If I were doing it I would just drop the mast and go up river-there are several interesting docks opposite Kew Gardens and if you are not of too deep a draft there is the Canal Basin at Brentford.
    You do see a few yachts with masts down moored up on this section of the River up to Richmond and beyond.
    Any idea how the feel about liveaboards up there?

SlimRick is offline Registered User

Thanks for the responses - I would, if possible, rather leave the mast up, and my draft is 1.6m so I'll have to check which areas are accessible.
    I guess a commute from somewhere like Brighton is do-able, but a bit of a slog. I live away during the week at the moment, and drag my laundry home at the weekend so I wouldn't be a "full time" liveaboard which will make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimRick View Post
    Thanks for the responses - I would, if possible, rather leave the mast up, and my draft is 1.6m so I'll have to check which areas are accessible.
    I guess a commute from somewhere like Brighton is do-able, but a bit of a slog. I live away during the week at the moment, and drag my laundry home at the weekend so I wouldn't be a "full time" liveaboard which will make things easier.
    Look around the Medway - very good connections into London - and a lot cheaper than from Brighton.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast