Default Fixing new engine mounts to hull

I need to change my engine mount- grind out the old one and fix a new one in.
    The new engine mount is a glassfibre moulding with a ring for the sail drive.
    What would be the best way to fix the new mount to the (glassfibre) hull?
    Ordinary glassfibre cloth and normal resin or epoxy resin and fibre glass.
    The inside edge of the ring for the saildrive will be exposed to sea water,
    I presume this bit needs to be gelcoated after fixing?

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by philwebb View Post
    I need to change my engine mount- grind out the old one and fix a new one in.
    The new engine mount is a glassfibre moulding with a ring for the sail drive.
    What would be the best way to fix the new mount to the (glassfibre) hull?
    Ordinary glassfibre cloth and normal resin or epoxy resin and fibre glass.
    The inside edge of the ring for the saildrive will be exposed to sea water,
    I presume this bit needs to be gelcoated after fixing?
    Epoxy resin and cloth designed for epoxy resin (Not CSM) is what I use.

Before you start. Wash the area that will be exposed to sea water with Acetone and grind it back to a clean and stable layer, then was again with Acetone.

This area should have at least 4 coats of epoxy resin applied wet on tacky to avoid sanding between coats.

Cover the exposed area and another 100mm so that the new mount sits on a clean and treated area.

Mark the desired location and check the level, you may have to grind some of the aft section away to fit the hull. When sits as desired sand the section around the bottom before the next step.

Mix some epoxy and hardener then add some Micro-fibres to mix to get something about peanut butter consistency, then spread a good size bead along your mark.

Place the mount moulding onto the mix and use a small round object line a bit of broom handle of a small fish paste jar to form a rounded coving inside and out. let this cure overnight.

Time for a light sanding and a wipe with acetone. Pre cut your cloth, pot 2 pairs of latex gloves on so you can pull a glove off if things get sticky and lay up over the coving after masking a neat finish line for the widest strip.

If you do the inside first you get less mess.

Let this cure and again wipe with acetone and apply a coat or two of High build epoxy primer.

After it cures, give it a light sand and apply whatever you like, including some antifoul on the inside that will be exposed.

Good luck and fair winds.

grind off the area that will be exposed under the mount and
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

Default Engine mounts

Have followed your advice last week and fitted the new mount. The new engine is now
    sitting on the mounts but has not been tested yet. I owe you abeer if you are ever in London
    Regards, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by oldsaltoz View Post
    Place the mount moulding
    So where can you buy new engine mount mouldings ?

Boo2

Quote Originally Posted by Boo2 View Post
    So where can you buy new engine mount mouldings ?

Boo2
    Comes with the saildrive from Volvo or Yanmar. Top bit takes drive then cut to shape to fit the hull and bonded in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Comes with the saildrive
    Ah, I had in mind stern tube style installations but now you mention it of course the OP is talking about saildrives.

Boo2