Hybrid View

Default Wiper motor conundrum

During my boat rewiring fun I disconnected most of the electrics, including the small windscreen wiper motor. The motor is one of these - http://www.force4.co.uk/1098/Force-4...per-Motor.html

Unfortunately, when I've come to reconnect it, I can't get the little bugger to work. There appear to be three terminals on the motor and the cable that supplies the motor is three core. This was wired up in a very unusual and DIY way when I disconnected everything. Now, I didn't disconnect any wires at the motor end and I'm pretty sure it's only ever had two wires connected to this, switched + and negative.
    However, no matter how much I will it to work, it simply won't. So, what have I done wrong here?
    I have a funny feeling, seeing as it claims to be self parking, that there's meant to be one uninterrupted supply and one going via a switch to turn it on/off. When the motor was working, it wouldn't self park, so it may have been wired up wrong.

Does anyone have one of these and know how it's meant to be wired up?

It's entirely possible the bugger has simply given up the ghost over the winter, but before I splash out 35 on a new one, I want to make sure I haven't just wired it up wrongly.
    Living the dream!
    www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk

Frankie-H is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
    During my boat rewiring fun I disconnected most of the electrics, including the small windscreen wiper motor. The motor is one of these - http://www.force4.co.uk/1098/Force-4...per-Motor.html

Unfortunately, when I've come to reconnect it, I can't get the little bugger to work. There appear to be three terminals on the motor and the cable that supplies the motor is three core. This was wired up in a very unusual and DIY way when I disconnected everything. Now, I didn't disconnect any wires at the motor end and I'm pretty sure it's only ever had two wires connected to this, switched + and negative.
    However, no matter how much I will it to work, it simply won't. So, what have I done wrong here?
    I have a funny feeling, seeing as it claims to be self parking, that there's meant to be one uninterrupted supply and one going via a switch to turn it on/off. When the motor was working, it wouldn't self park, so it may have been wired up wrong.

Does anyone have one of these and know how it's meant to be wired up?

It's entirely possible the bugger has simply given up the ghost over the winter, but before I splash out 35 on a new one, I want to make sure I haven't just wired it up wrongly.
    spriteclub.com/tech/wipers.htm

This seems to make sense. Hope it helps. Good luck.
    If you sail by the lee, eventually you will gybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Digbydog View Post
    spriteclub.com/tech/wipers.htm

This seems to make sense. Hope it helps. Good luck.
    Thanks for your post. I've had a read of the link and it seems somewhat overly complicated? The wiper I have only has one speed, and there certainly wasn't an external relay attached when I disconnected it.

Unfortunately, I can't find any documentation for the motor, which would probably solve my problem.
    Living the dream!

Hmm, think I may have found the answer here
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...wiper-DC-motor

The very bottom has something that looks like what I have. It would appear the permanent + supply to the motor became disconnected at some point thus why it isn't working.

I also think it may have been wired the wrong way round before, thus why it was previously working, but wouldn't park.
    Living the dream!

ostell is offline Registered User

From what I understand of them you got the right idea first time. Negative of course then switched supply to turn wipers off and on and then a supply to make the wipers self park. The self park may be supplied by the Off position of the switch.

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Self parking wioers

Most self parking wipers have a switch inside which makes contact until the wiper is in the park position when it opens. Thus you connect the wire going to that switch to power. When ever the wiper is not in park position the power goes through the internal switch to power the motor. To make the wiper work when parked you run power through the on off switch to the motor via the other power wire thus driving the motor.
    It seems to me that if you have identified the negative/earth and connected it, then you have go the other 2 wires swapped. good luck olewill