Default AIS on Ipad - Marine Traffic app ...?

I was contemplating getting an AIS setup for the ipad (digital yacht) and by chance came across this app - Marine Traffic.
    It looks amazing - ais info passed on from elsewhere rather than received on your own boat and there are caveats about "info only, not to be used for safety, may not be current". But it seems that the info is just minutes old. Shows photos of ships, tracks , amazing amount of info. I was looking at N Italy as that's where we will be.
    It costs $3.99! Of course you need internet access but I'm also researching an Italian sim. And we are coast hopping - my Blackberry always seems to get access.
    What do peeps think about this?

It was a revelation installing AIS, we found it a fantastic aid to crossing the North Sea and channel. So much so that once you have it you might not want to be without it and even coast hopping may not give access to it. You will also need more than just a cell signal, the data will require a decent mobile internet connection to feed the app with data.
    Colvic Watson slideshow video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RayUzX7LZQ

Marine Traffic is hugely interesting but is not always very current.I have it on my Iphone and have monitored ships leaving the Orwell and Harwich. Sometimes it is spot on, and sometimes it is up to 15min out - or even more in the channel.

Seems to depend on the update from all the hundreds of local landbased ( I think) stations that feed it.
    Interesting yes but but not safe for serious use.
    Harwich for the Continent - Frinton For the Incontinent

If all it does is shows where other ships are and what they are how does it know where you are or are you transmitting AIS as well. Surely the whole idea behind it is that the AIS knows where you are and can work out where all the others are in relation to you. All the app will do is give you a picture of the area based on an ariel somewhere in the vicinity some time in the past. Could be expensive getting the data.

It's a great app. It works very well and appears to be accurate and upto date. At least for vessels around here in Falmouth.
    It matches the AIS reports on the boats AIS.

SamSalter is offline Registered User

It's $3.99 for gods sake!
    Buy it and stop wasting our time!

Sorr-y!
    Have already bought it in fact. Still interested in people's opinions.

In fact stoopidly it hadn't occurred to me that the big difference is that it doesn't show the traffic related to your own position. But the cursor position lat and long is shown. So the biggest drawback seems to be possible big data usage. I think we'll try it and see. There's no doubt that real AIS is better, of course ... but for 2.50 ...

johnwest is offline Registered User

Have just dragged myself into the 21st centuary a couple of weeks ago. Found this app, the download was free of charge, and have watched with interest. I am right next to Portsmouth harbour entrance and as far as i can see it's not more than about five minutes out from what is actually happening on the water. A useful tool for interest but wouldn't rely on it for serious use at sea.

j

Why not use SF free (ship finder free app) and save 2.50/33.99 or whatever? The data is the same and will have same accuracy or inacceracy and the gps cursor shows your own location

2.50 would buy a copule of drinks you know, what do you get extra that you don't get on the free app?