Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Tomahawk is offline Registered User

Default Be careful of size..

A cautionary tale..

Chap named Stuart came racing with me a few times..he didn't fit in very well as he had very little boat sense.. He left the crew after a particularly bad gybe, (he was on foredeck)... The following week he took his family out on a chartered 36ft Beneteau. To cut to the chase he gybed when not expecting.. his wife was hit by the mainsheet and knocked across the cockpit where she stopped by hitting her head on one of the winches.. Six hours of emergency surgery in Haslar hospital and she is still a vegetable..

The point is that Stuart lacked the experience to know he was about to gybe..

In a small boat it just hurts if you are hit by the boom,,, in a bigger boat there is enough power to do some serious damage.

(Heard that he later divorced her)
    Life is too short to drink bad wine

loverobot is offline Registered User

Cautionary tale noted!

TBH though thats why I did a few years of dinghy racing first - specifically to gain wind awareness - though I accept the boom (usually) doesnt kill you in a dinghy - I have however been knocked out when learning and came to laid face down on the deck of the laser I was sailing !

The two things that have struck me as being particularly 'different' are the loads on all the running gear and through the rig as well as the stability of a keeled yacht when well heeled which of course in both cases are very different in dinghies

I am tentatively looking at a moody 28 over in Ireland though it does seem a little too cheap and may well have a history a little too involved - we shall see - has anyone been to see the moody 28 at Mourne Boat sales and care to share what you found?

Can't see a 28 on their site, but the 27 looks promising. Good choice of boat but clearly needs work, not having been used for 3 years. Does not look anything major but might be a lot of graft. Worth a look at that sort of discount from normal asking prices. seller might also be desparate! Possible executors sale?

Yes - executor sale
    But - engine seized - has one on a pallet but more cost and also needs new bulkhead
    In Ireland as well so am going to give it a miss
    Realistically too much for me to take on at this stage
    SWMBO is very much to be considered at the mo as well - understandably wants to get the flotilla next month done and consider what we want / need then - I may well charter out of Cornwall if I can and see what the Sadlers are like in summer if poss

Ok so budget may end up being bigger (within reason) and therefore been looking slightly larger
    Sadler 34 and moody 34 / 333 seem to be be sturdy and liveable with from the family pov - less accom in the saler for its size obviously - has anyone sailed both and can give me an idea of how much better the Sadler sails ESP to windward?
    Both have the advantage of BeiNg resaleable and there are ones cropping up at similar prices ie mid to high 30's
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by loverobot View Post
    I may well charter out of Cornwall if I can and see what the Sadlers are like in summer if poss
    As a bit of an alternative suggestion I'd suggest that you charter for a year or two. As you've probably already found out there are a variety of charter boats around.

It'll give you time to decide your own likes and dislikes which will help you make your mind up when looking around to buy a boat.

It's also a very short-term commitment so easy to adapt as your circumstances change.

Owning your own boat takes time. Some people do seem to walk away in the autumn and come back in the spring, but if you want a boat to stay in ok condition you can't afford to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by loverobot View Post
    Ok so budget may end up being bigger (within reason) and therefore been looking slightly larger
    Sadler 34 and moody 34 / 333 seem to be be sturdy and liveable with from the family pov - less accom in the saler for its size obviously - has anyone sailed both and can give me an idea of how much better the Sadler sails ESP to windward?
    Both have the advantage of BeiNg resaleable and there are ones cropping up at similar prices ie mid to high 30's
    ?
    CYCA rates the Sadler 34 at 16.0 and the Moody 333 at around 18.5 (fin keels of course) this means that the Sadler is expected to be around 2 mins faster in the hour in average conditions. I suspect most of this is attributed to windward performance. By comparison our Finngulf 33 with a modern lead keel and bigger rig rates at 13.0 which usually puts us in a class with larger boats. I have raced in the same events but not usually against either. However there are a couple of Moodies up here who compete fiercely and generally win the class, I do not think you would be disappointed by the Moody or the Sadler if you found a good one of either.
    The CYCA database records thousands of boats and is constantly updated, I regard it as a very effective means of comparing performance and is available to everyone on their website. You may find it more difficult to find these boats on charter these days but the advice is worth considering.
    www.cyca-online.org.uk
    Last edited by Quandary; 17-05-12 at 10:38.