Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

The tacho stores the hours run in its memory and the lcd is just a display. When we bought our boat none of the hour meters were working so Leevonenginefixer took a working tacho from another sales boat took it apart and fitted the working lcd to our tacho and it displayed the hours!
    You dont need eyes to see you need vision.

PRH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thepipdoc View Post
    I've fitted 2 of the 4 LCD's that I bought and they are functioning perfectly at the lower helm. Before I actually fitted them to the lower helm I mistakenly thought that if I started the engines from the flybridge, the hours wouldn't register on the lower hour counters. This isn't the case - I've so far clocked up 15.5 hours on the lower helm hour counters and I've not used the boat from the lower helm in that time.
    I've now got the 2 LCD's that I haven't yet fitted sitting in my workshop with a 9volt battery attached and they will remain that way till they display 500(ish) hours, I'll then have a Volvo engineer stick his computer thingy into the ECU on both engines and he can tell me the exact number of hours the engines have done. I'll then fine tune all 4 of the hour counters by re-attaching the 9 Volt battery and then finally fitting all 4 of the counters into the tachometers.
    Job done - hopefully!
    Would hope by now that you have had complete success?

Have looked through your posts and can't work out exactly how you did it and got them both working in sync - can you share the final answer with all of us please.....

Thepipdoc is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PRH View Post
    Would hope by now that you have had complete success?

Have looked through your posts and can't work out exactly how you did it and got them both working in sync - can you share the final answer with all of us please.....
    I have indeed repaired all 4 of the hour counters although at the moment I only have the upper 2 at the flybridge helm fitted. The 2 from the lower helm are currently sitting in my workshop connected to a permanent power supply, gradually incrementing the hours displayed and I'll leave them like that for a couple more weeks till the hours tally on all 4 counters.
    I have no idea how, when I turn the ignition on at the upper helm the hours at lower helm increase but they do. (perhaps someone can enlighten us?).
    To further explain, I've not used the lower helm at all since I originally fitted the repaired hour counters but prior to taking them off again, to synch all 4 of the hour counters, they were displaying 20.6 hours and when I fitted them they were displaying 1.2 hours.
    Fortunately, prior to removing the displays from the tachometers gauges, I was able to get the port side from the flybridge, and the starboard side from the lower helm to temporarily flash up the number of hours that were recorded, and so I'm able to replicate those hours with the new LED's.

I hope this helps.
    www.sealinef43.com - Stunner for sale. (Actually its now sold!)

PRH is offline Registered User

Sure does, many thanks. Will look forward to Paul's explanation of how the lower counters work when the flybridge tachos are powered up!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456