Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Quidi Vidi's Avatar
    Quidi Vidi is offline Registered User
    Location : Me Gosport, boat Fareham Creek
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dylanwinter View Post
    I think old ant-foul makes a great substrate for stuff to grow on

    now that most of the antifould has gone from the slug it is quite smooth

    the weed just falls off

    barnacles need the back of the brush

    try it for a bit without - see how you get on

    every month you don;t do it you save money

    Dylan
    Do you know what Dylan I might just give that a try after all anti foul has to be the biggest con going! I don't know how the manufacturers and swindleries get away with it, they pour a load of bloop into tins and then sell it to mugs like me for lots of squids and does it do what it says on the tin? I think not!
    The place we beach is only about 50 metres from our mooring so makes sense to use it more often.
    Brian
    You can never be old and wise, if you were never once young and foolish!

  2. #12
    William_H is offline Registered User
    Location : West Australia
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8,715

    Default Fouling on boats

    The fouling really slows a boat down. I could never let mine get to actual noticeable growth.
    My A/F is now 4.5 months old. Partly gone from scrubbing and pretty much useless. (I don't put much on)
    I always scrub on the mooring by diving/swimming. I am going now to have another go at it. It is 4 days since I scrubbed and we have a race this afternoon. Is that obsessive? Yes but it does matter if she is to beat the big kids in expected light winds today. End of season in about 4 weeks then home.
    My SWMBO usually helps the scrub though a lot older than your scrubber. good luck olewill

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    My SWMBO usually helps the scrub though a lot older than your scrubber. good luck olewill
    "It was the crew's fault"

  4. #14
    Greenwichman's Avatar
    Greenwichman is offline Registered User
    Location : Auckland, New Zealand
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Totally agree with you Dylan - have decided to avoid anti-foul on my Hawk 20 too. Regular scrub off does the trick, saves and better for the ecology .... :-)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,629

    Default

    In the Caribbean i foind that once the anti fouling was gone in places, needed to dive on it every three days to stop new growth. At 5 days you could feel the wee new barnacles and had to put more effort into it....
    But, nice water temp and clear so that with rowing ashore kept one fit
    Why argue with a nautical wall? I just read the graffiti these days.

  6. #16
    Greenwichman's Avatar
    Greenwichman is offline Registered User
    Location : Auckland, New Zealand
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    302

    Default Barnacles ......

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueboatman View Post
    In the Caribbean i foind that once the anti fouling was gone in places, needed to dive on it every three days to stop new growth. At 5 days you could feel the wee new barnacles and had to put more effort into it....
    But, nice water temp and clear so that with rowing ashore kept one fit
    Oh, yes, racing back from Rio to Portsmouth some years back we spent almost 2 weeks on the starboard tack beating into the NE Trades, at speeds never less than 6 knots and often faster. When eventually we went about, the hull above the antifoul was covered in barnacles. Quite a surprise and also a bit dismaying in terms of performance!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9,568

    Default become a sllug srubber

    Quote Originally Posted by Bower15 View Post
    Do you know what Dylan I might just give that a try after all anti foul has to be the biggest con going! I don't know how the manufacturers and swindleries get away with it, they pour a load of bloop into tins and then sell it to mugs like me for lots of squids and does it do what it says on the tin? I think not!
    The place we beach is only about 50 metres from our mooring so makes sense to use it more often.
    what have you got to lose......

    becoming a scrubber means that you get involved in a bit of effort

    nothing wrong with that I reckon

    most of us could do with the excercise and lieing in the detritus under a bilge keeler having anti-foul dribble onto your face is no fun



    what have you got to gain

    a bit of fitness

    money saved on anti-foul

    that warm feeling you get from being on the side of the whelks

    I would much rather spend half an hour aground slug scrubbing on a lovely hard or up a creek than I would rolling around in the gravel in a boat yard while the bloke next door with the steel ketch is grizzly disking his rust patches



    Dylan

  8. #18
    Quidi Vidi's Avatar
    Quidi Vidi is offline Registered User
    Location : Me Gosport, boat Fareham Creek
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dylanwinter View Post
    what have you got to lose......

    becoming a scrubber means that you get involved in a bit of effort

    nothing wrong with that I reckon

    most of us could do with the excercise and lieing in the detritus under a bilge keeler having anti-foul dribble onto your face is no fun



    what have you got to gain

    a bit of fitness

    money saved on anti-foul

    that warm feeling you get from being on the side of the whelks

    I would much rather spend half an hour aground slug scrubbing on a lovely hard or up a creek than I would rolling around in the gravel in a boat yard while the bloke next door with the steel ketch is grizzly disking his rust patches



    Dylan


    You've convinced us Dylan, to be honest we'd already pretty much made our minds up to do that this year anyway. We've never put the boat into into a yard yet or employed anyone to fix anything, we do everything ourselves and stay afloat all year round. We make do and mend as much as we can and don't mind getting our hands dirty. We've learnt an awful lot about the boat in the past 4 years that we've owned her and learnt an awful lot about ourselves too, its certainly strengthened our relationship. It also proves that you don't have to be well off to own a boat or enjoy sailing, it breaks my heart when i look at all the boats around me that haven't moved in years and are in hell off a state. The modern AWB next to me for instance has a boom cover/stack pack and canopy that are probably worth as much as my boat, they are covered in seagull sh*t and mould as is the whole boat. No one has been anywhere near it for years but its probably worth a 1/3 of the value of my house.
    Anyway, rant over. Out of interest how often do you need to scrub off?
    Last edited by Quidi Vidi; 25-03-12 at 12:59. Reason: Spelling
    Brian
    You can never be old and wise, if you were never once young and foolish!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    713

    Default Go Jotun

    At the risk of turning this into a "best antifoul" thread, I have used Jotun SeaQueen and Seaguardian for about five years now in Haslar so the same waters. Lasts 2 years with a wash off at the end of the first year. You get a line of kelp at the waterline but nothing except a thin coat of slime on the rest of the hull. I know the seaquirts are there in Haslar because I found one up the engine water intake!!

    It is pretty cheap as well
    Maximise your effectiveness at work - visit www.bluestone-training.com

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    534

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by stuartwineberg View Post
    At the risk of turning this into a "best antifoul" thread, I have used Jotun SeaQueen and Seaguardian for about five years now in Haslar so the same waters. Lasts 2 years with a wash off at the end of the first year. You get a line of kelp at the waterline but nothing except a thin coat of slime on the rest of the hull. I know the seaquirts are there in Haslar because I found one up the engine water intake!!

    It is pretty cheap as well
    +1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •