Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post
    Does that include folders as well as featherers ?
    No, folders don't generally need greasing. As suggested most feathering devices do.

Swapped my Kiwi prop this winter for a 3 bladed Flexofold. It's not cheap but worth every penny. Darglow are a company that is second to none to deal with and their service is excellent. The prop has put about 0.8 of a knot onto my forward speed and the engine sounds so much more smooth. The Kiwi is well known for its astern performance but since I spend about 99.5% of my time going forwards it's not a problem.

pelissima is offline Registered User

Default Kiwis

A big plus is that you can experiment your sailing/motoring performance with minimum capital. Like I have mine for sale in the For sale section. The reason for going back to my fixed two bladed one is that the time penalty I was getting when racing was greater than the benefit I was enjoying - at least this was my perception for my First 38.

pelissima is offline Registered User

Default Kiwi

An added bonus the reduced vibration as weight (4.5Kilos) is gathered at center of shaft

paulrae is offline Registered User

Well, I'm afraid that I'm going to be the flex-o-fold dissenter.

Our boat was fitted with a two-blade flex-o-fold when we bought her three years ago. Whilst the prop works very well when sailing and quite well when motoring in flat water, the performance drops off as it gets rougher. Where we get worried is when we're going from forward to reverse. It usually works eventually, but often with some cavitation first (lots of noise, but with no 'bite'), but from time to time we get no braking effect at all. As we usualy sail two up, this can necessitate some nifty footwork on the pontoon.

We've only just gone back into the water (three weeks ago), and the prop was free to open and close - no friction or sticking. It was also lightly greased. We've tried lots of strategies - high revs, low revs, combinations, but the unpredictability makes our berthing interesting. We also always check that it'll open in reverse long before we get near our berth, and this is usually (9/10 time) successful. Anyone with similar flex-o-fold issues?
    Last edited by paulrae; 27-03-12 at 16:11. Reason: spelling
    Consitency is a sign of a lack of imagination.

DaveS is offline Registered User

I've had a Kiwi for 6 years. During this time I've logged 4915 miles in 1178 hours, 553 of which were motoring.

The Kiwi has given no trouble at all so far, with no visible wear on the blades where they press against the rollers. I grease it annually and make sure after the anti-fouling is dry that the rollers are completely freed off.

(copied from a post I put on Buttlescutt a few days ago)

RobW is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post
    Does that include folders as well as featherers ?
    After much consideration, I recently ordered a flexofold 2 blade. From the maintenance instructions, it requires no grease, just keep it clean.

Not fitted it yet, but very impressed with the engineering and finish. I looked at a few similar props (2 blade / folding) at the boat show and it seemed to be the best quality and certainly looks the part - only time will tell with performance! (will find out in a couple of weeks when we crane in).

The choice was a bit more limited for us - Kiwiprops are only suitable for engines above 14 HP, and we only have a yanmar 1gm10.

R

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Are Kiwi props a good option or is there better options available at a reasonable price for feathering/folding props?
    http://www.gori-propeller.com/

All the rage down here (kiwiland). Has a handy over-drive feature for motor-sailing or motoring in flat water.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Are Kiwi props a good option or is there better options available at a reasonable price for feathering/folding props?
    Have a look at http://www.darglow.co.uk/html/products/feather.htm.
    Similar to MaxProp at nowhere near the same price.

Fitted one two years ago, and very impressed with it. Superior fuel economy (approx 3ltr/hr @ cruising speed) and gained over 0.5kts when sailing.

charles_reed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    They all require at least annual greasing. It is not unknown for some of the more expensive all metal ones to lose a blade-then its back to the agent. With the Kiwi you punch a pin out, fit a new blade and punch a new pin in. You can grease it before launch as well.
    My Brunton Autoprop, now 21 years old requires neither annual greasing and never a new blade.
    I would suggest you do not make wild assertions on a subject of which your grasp is obviously flimsy.
    Apart from misleading posters, you are leaving ybw.com open to legal action.