Hybrid View

Default Yellow Ribs Cardiff Bay (again)

Sorry if this subject has been done to death but I was rather hoping someone at the company might frequent these fora.
    I was in a "head-on/crossing" situation with one of these ribs at the weekend.
    I steered to starboard as we approached each other, he carried on his course (maybe with a hint of port helm?) so I made a more pronounced turn to starboard clearly showing him my port side, he carried on so I stopped and he passed in front of me from left to right about 4ft away.
    This all happened at about 4 kts luckily, had one of us been going quickly I'm sure a collision would have occurred.
    I really think that as a professional mariner, the skipper of the rib should have exercised more care and awareness.
    I must say also, that I did not change course to put me in a stand on position but to let him know I had made a move to allow him more sea room, initially we were approaching head on.
    See the rainbow not the rain

The water buses are also very poor at making their intentions clear and a number of them have made me take drastic actions to avoid potential collisions - they seem oblivious to other users of the Bay and also seem oblivious to their responsibilities under local byelaws and ColRegs etc. It would seem that the mentality of the stereotypical bus/taxi driver (with no offense intended to any such users of this forum, whom I'm sure do not match such sterotypes ) has now transferred to the commercial users of the water, who should IMHO know better.

There is a reporting system for incidents or near misses within the Bay at http://www.cardiffharbour.com/conten...directory_id=1

& perhaps if more people reported incidents/near misses then those at fault might become more aware of their responsibilities and stop acting like fools. [end rant !!!!!!! )
    All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.

I have never had any problems with the RIBs (or the buses) but I have heard of a number of incidents like the one above. However I think they should be made to show something, like a large number or coloured spots, so it is more obvious which one is involved. They all look the same to me.
    Allan

Thanks for the link, report submitted

As an ex Waterbus skipper in Cardiff Bay (Princess Royal, Cygnet and Sapphire) I take some objection to your comment.

In 3 seasons I had 3 notable near miss situations - In one I was at fault 'racing for a berth' and hadn't left enough sea room (hands up, shoot me!) but in the others I had yachts tacking and putting me in a position with no sea room to allow a give way action. Not bad in over 2500 'trips around the bend' . . . sorry 'bay'!

Leisure boat movements within the bay can be very erratic at times and many commercial skippers will hold a course until they intentions of the other vessel are clear - it works both ways.

In the instance described here It reads to me that the RIB took a turn to Port in order to pass ahead of you - you having previously applied starboard helm?

You can of course use the Harbour Authorities report to raise concerns, with there already having been a MAIB report on an accident eyes will be on improving safety to users. Out of interest do Cardiff Harbour Authority publish an annual report for stakeholders?

Quote Originally Posted by carise View Post
    The water buses are also very poor at making their intentions clear and a number of them have made me take drastic actions to avoid potential collisions - they seem oblivious to other users of the Bay and also seem oblivious to their responsibilities under local byelaws and ColRegs etc. It would seem that the mentality of the stereotypical bus/taxi driver (with no offense intended to any such users of this forum, whom I'm sure do not match such sterotypes ) has now transferred to the commercial users of the water, who should IMHO know better.

There is a reporting system for incidents or near misses within the Bay at http://www.cardiffharbour.com/conten...directory_id=1

& perhaps if more people reported incidents/near misses then those at fault might become more aware of their responsibilities and stop acting like fools. [end rant !!!!!!! )

I have seen bad seamanship and lack of consideration on both sides. Yesterday I saw a visiting yacht at the Taff buoys being overtaken by the Aquabus who increased his speed exiting the buoys when going a few more metres would have been much more considerate. I have been in the same place and the Aquabus driver was a true gent.
    The most inept "professional" I have ever seen was a yellow RIB driver in the lock. All of the others have been top quality and I have seen them hundreds of times.
    Allan

Took a turn to port to pass ahead of me?

Are you being serious in suggesting that is an appropriate manoeuvre?

Of course not - I was questioning your description of the actions the RIB took! Simply seeking clarification of your left to right description. I assume you mean passing ahead of you from your port to starboard side.

You turned to straboard as per COLREGS (14 a). You then stopped having taken a further alteration of course to starboard and took way off (Rule 17 a part ii (?)). The RIB to have passed ahead of you he would have had to have made a broad alteration to port clearly contriving the rules.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to sound 5 short blasts to me at the point the rib took no action, you having made an initial alteration of course. Good call in stopping to avoid collision as i see it.

Be interested to know the response from CHA.

Out of interest where in the Bay did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneds View Post
    Took a turn to port to pass ahead of me?

Are you being serious in suggesting that is an appropriate manoeuvre?