Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 219
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Ok, so it sounds like the law prevailed and Mark 1 (and Mark 2?) was compensated, good news.

    You're never going to stamp out crooks in any industry or walk of life, motor trade, builders, postmen, police men, whatever. However there are laws and recourse to courts for when it does go wrong, as has clearly happened here.

    So I'm still not sure what your problem is in continually highlighting a couple of dodgy brokers. As I said before you may as well highlight a couple of dodgy policemen or priests as proof they all shouldn't be trusted.

    It's an imperfect world. If you're trying to legislate to make sure no one ever tries to pull a fast one in any profession ever, I think you are on a hiding to nothing.
    +1
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonic View Post
    Pete what age were the buyers at the time. Lets stop using the term "mark" eh?
    Ah come on its the only bit of colour humour in the whole thread , maybe their names were mark ! and mark !!

    I dont really want to include ages for two reasons

    data protection act, personal details etc
    DOB could be ascertained by following links to previous threads.

    Can we agree first time buyers require more help and explanation how the system works.
    .

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Ok, so it sounds like the law prevailed and Mark 1 (and Mark 2?) was compensated, good news.
    remember Mark ! got scammed twice.
    .

  4. #164
    PaulGooch's Avatar
    PaulGooch is offline Registered User
    Location : Home = Norfolk, Boat = The Wash
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    Ah come on its the only bit of colour humour in the whole thread , maybe their names were mark ! and mark !!

    I dont really want to include ages for two reasons

    data protection act, personal details etc
    DOB could be ascertained by following links to previous threads.

    Can we agree first time buyers require more help and explanation how the system works.
    Oh come one, really. You can't say how old they are because of data protection, what a load of rubbish !

    You haven't said who they are, so how the hell does that apply ?
    Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805 For Sale. www.gooch.co.uk

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    Ah come on its the only bit of colour humour in the whole thread , maybe their names were mark ! and mark !!

    I dont really want to include ages for two reasons

    data protection act, personal details etc
    DOB could be ascertained by following links to previous threads.

    Can we agree first time buyers require more help and explanation how the system works.
    Its not colour and humour. Not the way you continuously damage the reputation of honest and decent brokers (like me) with your use of these terms .

    You have also said yacht brokers are unregulated.

    We are regulated by the misrepresentation act of 1967
    Unfair contract terms act of 1977
    Sale of goods act of 1979
    contracts (rights of third parties) act of 1999
    Money Laundering Regulations of 2007
    If offering marine finance are required to have a consumer credit license from the FSA.

    and will fall foul of local trading standards and VAT officers.

    ABYA brokers are also required to adhere to the http://www.abya.co.uk/code.html



    So not completely unregulated
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    Oh come one, really. You can't say how old they are because of data protection, what a load of rubbish !

    You haven't said who they are, so how the hell does that apply ?
    pm sent to jonic with age of one and estimated age of the other one.
    .

  7. #167
    ari's Avatar
    ari is offline Registered User
    Location : South coast
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    To a point I accept your argument however it needs to be made absolutely clear to the general public that selling a boat through a Broker is unregulated.
    The system relies entirely on the integrity of the individual yacht broker.
    Thankfully most act honourably most of the time , but it is vital a reputable Yacht Broker is used or you could loose your investment.
    My posts start off very simply by stating that not all Yacht Brokers are honourable and we end up having a long drawn out battle with me being pushed into posting examples.
    But the exact same could be said for anything. There are laws about stealing but people still steal. You need a licence to drive a car but plenty are still dangerous behind the wheel.

    Not all car dealers are honorable, not all estate agents are, or solicitors or police men or priests or carpenters or hoteliers or or or.

    From the sound of it you were a little naive and got taken advantage of and fair enough that's wrong. But there is recourse through the courts, which you took, and got compensated.

    So what is the problem, and if there is one, what's the solution? Because clearly passing more laws isn't it, any more than having a test and a licence required to drive a car means the roads are safe.
    Ari

    ---------------------------------

    If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    pm sent to jonic with age of one and estimated age of the other one.

    Both well and truly adults

    Enough.

    I'm out.
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonic View Post
    Its not colour and humour. Not the way you continuously damage the reputation of honest and decent brokers (like me) with your use of these terms .
    Why keep digging and asking more and more dirty on fellow brokers then.

    You should know me well enough to know I only post what I believe to be truthful, the chances of tripping me up on something I know so much about isnt going to happen, you just keep digging a deeper hole !
    .

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    Why keep digging and asking more and more dirty on fellow brokers then.
    Stop- my sides are hurting now
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •