Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 219
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARA View Post
    JFJ so surely with that statement you think that he is guilty as well. I suggest that your only option is to go back to court & prove his innocence there, & then & only then, come back here & tell us how one could be stitched up by Accountants, Jury's, Judges & Customers when it comes to selling boats where VAT is involved, but don't start defending somebody that has been convicted unless you can tell & prove to everybody in this Forum with facts.
    Jeez! Its a free world, the guy is entitled to post his opinion in this forum if he wants to without being told to shut up.

    Presumably the pack of sheep will turn on me now.

  2. #52
    ARA is offline Registered User
    Location : Serpentine
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Jeez! Its a free world, the guy is entitled to post his opinion in this forum if he wants to without being told to shut up.

    Presumably the pack of sheep will turn on me now.

    Lovezoo I have just checked your interests where you list out ""sex & drugs & sausage rolls". As this is a thread concerning VAT I do hope that you realise that soon one of those interests if served hot will attract VAT soon. Please be careful as you can see that there ain't too much sympathy around here on that sort of thing Seriously though there are a lot of us that own our own businesses & we all know that if we get things wrong on the tax front by mistake we will still get clobered very hard for those mistakes & will have to suffer the consequencies. The european court of human rights certainly does not exist in the tax side of business life

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovezoo View Post
    Jeez! Its a free world, the guy is entitled to post his opinion in this forum if he wants to without being told to shut up.

    Presumably the pack of sheep will turn on me now.
    Absolutely correct , the pack of sheep have been known to be wrong too, the benefit of a forum is learning the opinion of all others and then making your own opinion, if the pack of sheep have their way we never get to hear the other side.
    Respectfully requesting along with you that the pack of sheep tread carefully allowing the rest of us to learn both sides before we judge if he is a dangerous criminal in need of incarceration in the interests of public safety.
    .

  4. #54
    ARA is offline Registered User
    Location : Serpentine
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Absolutely Daka & thanks for the support, as you are correct
    the benefit of a forum is learning the opinion of all others
    so Lovezoo does have a right to his opinion as well.

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    Respectfully requesting along with you that the pack of sheep tread carefully allowing the rest of us to learn both sides before we judge if he is a dangerous criminal in need of incarceration in the interests of public safety.
    What exactly have you learnt from JFJ Daka, because I looked really hard and I couldn't find a single fact in any of his posts.

    Any idea that he could compromise the defence/appeal is nonsense. In cases of miscarriage of justice, supporters shout the facts from the rooftops, and anyway judges don't send people they know are innocent to jail on technicalities.

    So come on JFJ, why has the dealer been falsely convicted, or must we just take your word for it? You could start by explaining who forged the invoice, if it wasn't the dealer.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_H View Post
    What exactly have you learnt from JFJ Daka, because I looked really hard and I couldn't find a single fact in any of his posts.
    Well he managed to get me thinking about the guy laid in his prison cell having lost his freedom and most likely family/friends.

    It crossed my mind that many thugs are walking the streets with knives and other weapons waiting at traffic lights wanting my wallet , your car, access codes to your safe, these guys have been arrested for multiple violent crimes but are allowed to circulate freely among us.

    Now these guys are normally organised and have managers , and in any event they wouldnt hijack your car or steel your watch if someone wasn't prepared to bag a bargain and turn a blind eye would they.
    .

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    No one here is bitter, people were simply discussing the case, as reported. Your friend was found guilty in a court of law and was discussed accordingly.

    We were speaking as we found, we found him to be a convicted criminal. If that's incorrect, when he wins his appeal i'm sure that will also be discussed accordingly.

    What would you have people do/say/think when they read that someone has been tried and convicted of an offence ? "Oh, poor man, i bet he's innocent and has been wrongly convicted" ?

    You've given the thread more exposure than it had. Prior to your outbursts the thread was dead at 18 posts. It's now at 45 and still running.
    Think I have said all I want to say on this subject and your response rather confirms what I have said about "food for idle hours" are you sure that you were not on the prosecution team or maybe you have run out of sweaters to knit??

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,975

    Default

    Pete

    You seem to be questioning the reliability of the court findings. HMRC does not go to court on a whim - they only go if they are pretty certain of their case or there is a legal principle that is being challenged (not unusual in complex law like VAT). They do not always win - for example recent case of Harry Redknap.

    So, in the absence of any new information not available to the court, or an error in the court process, his guilt is proven. As already said the poster has not provided any new facts, although even then they would not be much use to anybody here unless they know exactly what the court heard. If there is anything new it is possibly grounds for appeal.

    All we have so far from the poster is that the guilty party is a good bloke who has been stuffed by his accountants. Hardly the basis for forming any rational view that is different from the court's.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    10,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFJ View Post
    Think I have said all I want to say on this subject and your response rather confirms what I have said about "food for idle hours" are you sure that you were not on the prosecution team or maybe you have run out of sweaters to knit??
    You still have not told us if an appeal has been lodged which is the logical next step bearing in mind the evidence you say was not presented/withheld at the original trial.
    If no appeal planned then I'm afraid we have to take what you say with a pinch of salt.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARA View Post
    Lovezoo I have just checked your interests where you list out ""sex & drugs & sausage rolls". As this is a thread concerning VAT I do hope that you realise that soon one of those interests if served hot will attract VAT soon. Please be careful as you can see that there ain't too much sympathy around here on that sort of thing Seriously though there are a lot of us that own our own businesses & we all know that if we get things wrong on the tax front by mistake we will still get clobered very hard for those mistakes & will have to suffer the consequencies. The european court of human rights certainly does not exist in the tax side of business life
    I live in Spain, so UK VAT increases on sausage rolls are of no concern to me.

    However this thread is about, shock horror, someone who didn't pay Customs and Excise what he owed them.

    I doubt if there are many business owners on this forum who haven't done the same, just on a smaller scale. Claiming the vat back on a laptop for the kids, doing a job for cash, holding back a payment to the VAT man as a customer is late in paying and so on. Some on here may even have a bank account and a brass plate in places like Monaco and Gibraltar...

    Its not even clear if any boat buyer lost out - it seems the worst that might have happened is if they didn't bother to make sure they got the right paperwork, they might not have a genuine vat invoice.

    Anyway, you lot can get on with giving JFJ a kicking for sticking up for his mate.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •