Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default The slug and grounding

I have always felt pretty secure about grounding the slug

the boat is fairly light and the keel box is really thick

I did manage to hole it but I gave it one hell of a clonk on some rocks off Cromer and then rotated it around to give it a reel grinding - even then the grp only cracked

I was really impressed with the thickness of the lay up

the bilge keels are steel

the boat is really stable when aground

so I am prepared to take all sorts of risks with it

you are dead right that in many ways it is the ideal boat given my creek crawling procilities

the only time I was worried was when I tied up in Boston and did not know what wasunderneath us - I assumed there was nothing until I saw all these ribs emerging around us as the tide went down

one of those could have punctured the hull

I know that the slug would be great for exploring some of these scottish sea lochs that extend so far in land

and pretty good for ireland

with the right engine and some cockpit drains and spray hood, dodgers and a decent drysuit then the boat is more than up to the job

but a more modern engine and installation is going to run me into a bill of four or five thousand - spending that sort of money on the slug would make no sense at all given the current state of the UK's and my own finances

http://www.hlmoa.flyer.co.uk/

I am still thinking in the direction of a Minstrel if I can get one at the right price - I can live with tatty - being able to drop a mast by myself is a wonderful advantage and has allowed me to get to some wonderful places, the Medway, the Nene, the Broads

as it will sail in shallow water and can be brought home to cut the costs without killing the project.

I will not be replacing the slug before next winter at the earliest once I have finished with North Norfolk and explord as far as the Tyne

and who knows what might happen this winter

Dylan

Chrusty 1 Guest

Minstrels are good wee boats, but Winter old chap, Winter is a long way off, so what Winter will do come Next Winter, is anybodies guess.

An attractive specimen. http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=242610

Not sure what your budget is.

Default third one down

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sail View Post
    An attractive specimen. http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=242610

Not sure what your budget is.
    looks as though the price has fallen some-what

http://www.hob.me.uk/php/ssale.php

assuming it is the same boat

D

currently liquifying some of my own marine assets

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/s...coble-PAA45346

Chrusty 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dylanwinter View Post
    looks as though the price has fallen some-what

http://www.hob.me.uk/php/ssale.php

assuming it is the same boat

D

currently liquifying some of my own marine assets

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/s...coble-PAA45346
    Not the same boat, but they do tend to be over priced for what they are I feel, that Apollo Duck one is particularly optimistic I think.

I do like your Coble Dylan, if I had the spares I would definitely be
    interested, she shouldn't be hard to sell at that price.

Default home built

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusty 1 View Post
    Not the same boat, but they do tend to be over priced for what they are I feel, that Apollo Duck one is particularly optimistic I think.

I do like your Coble Dylan, if I had the spares I would definitely be
    interested, she shouldn't be hard to sell at that price.
    it is home built -

which really cuts the value

the boat is plenty strong enough - epoxy all over

the trailer is old. the seagull is old, the spars are aluminium and the sails are from other boats - the shape is fine but they are old

I did build some wooden spars with the idea of converting it into a gunter

never got around to making the sails

so I do not expect to get the asking price

I shall leave the price as it is until easter and see what happens

Dylan

Chrusty 1 Guest

Dylan said..

"it is home built - that really cuts the value"

Who told you that? If it was built from Selway plans, and you did a good job of it, then it's no different to one that was built by a "professional" everything being equal of course.

In my opinion, the only thing that will hold it back, is that it's wood, there are an awful lot of people that get the colliwobbles about wooden boats Which is really daft, because modern, properly constructed epoxy ply is a doddle to look after. I had a smaller Selway coble back along, it was just the rowing version, and my only complaint was that it was a bit light for what I wanted it for, rowed beautifully though.

Default over built

Dylan said..

"it is home built - that really cuts the value"

Who told you that? If it was built from Selway plans, and you did a good job of it, then it's no different to one that was built by a "professional" everything being equal of course.

In my opinion, the only thing that will hold it back, is that it's wood, there are an awful lot of people that get the colliwobbles about wooden boats Which is really daft, because modern, properly constructed epoxy ply is a doddle to look after. I had a smaller Selway coble back along, it was just the rowing version, and my only complaint was that it was a bit light for what I wanted it for, rowed beautifully though.
    this one is too well built

I was going to take a jigsaw to the built in bouyancy, replace it with bags and slatted seats - never happened - never will

but I think it is accepted wisdom that home built boats go for a discount

there was an interesting thread on a boat building website where people were talking about getting rid of their old boats

some blokes just take them down to the beach and dump them with the words please take or free boat written in indellible pen - usually some-one takes them

D

Chrusty 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dylanwinter View Post
    this one is too well built

I was going to take a jigsaw to the built in bouyancy, replace it with bags and slatted seats - never happened - never will

but I think it is accepted wisdom that home built boats go for a discount

there was an interesting thread on a boat building website where people were talking about getting rid of their old boats

some blokes just take them down to the beach and dump them with the words please take or free boat written in indellible pen - usually some-one takes them

D
    Just goes to show why "accepted wisdom" is mostly garbage. It should be accepted prejudice really. Sure I have seen some home built horrors in my time, but I also seen some really beautiful boats, built to a standard that most professionals couldn't aspire to simply on cost grounds, Every boat should be judged on it's own merits, not by accepted wisdoms, all to often, gleaned after a few pints down the pub or the yacht club bar.

I have a junk sail and a carbon fibre mast lying about the place, might suit her down to the ground, what length is she?

Default junk rigged coble

Just goes to show why "accepted wisdom" is mostly garbage. It should be accepted prejudice really. Sure I have seen some home built horrors in my time, but I also seen some really beautiful boats, built to a standard that most professionals couldn't aspire to simply on cost grounds, Every boat should be judged on it's own merits, not by accepted wisdoms, all to often, gleaned after a few pints down the pub or the yacht club bar.

I have a junk sail and a carbon fibre mast lying about the place, might suit her down to the ground, what length is she?
    nora -

15 foot six

Dylan