Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Default Olympics a sucess?

I have just read that St Katharine's wants to be the most expensive harbour during the Olympic games and plans to charge much more than Weymouth. I wonder if the harbour owners are going to have egg on their face as boat owners stay away.

Are there going to be lots of unsold spaces over the Olympics. Personally I wonder if this event is going to be a total financial disaster to all the business and hotels in Weymouth. I am sure that all the chandlers are going to be completely stuffed this summer.

Is anyone here prepared to admit to paying the fees?
    Unless you’re American it's not a “Shopping MAUL”, it’s a Shopping Mall (as in Pall Mall)

There are enough city people on million quid bonusses not to bother about how much it costs. Something is only expensive if you have to think about the cost.

The real puzzle is why anyone would want to watch the Olympics.

It will be a little like Cannes, there are a lot of people with a lot of money that will revel in the opportunity to demonstrate the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    The real puzzle is why anyone would want to watch the Olympics.
    Surely, Bosun, that is simply a matter of opinion. You dont want to, but plenty do.

Seeing as how the olympics are going to happen regardless, maybe some of the moaners might just need to get used to it.

Personally, I enjoy sports and am looking forward to the event, but I do understand we are not all the same.

Seajet is offline Registered User

'It will be like Cannes ' ?! No it won't, it'll look like Grot London with a pink bow tie and a massive price tag, bu**ering up everyone else as they try to live normally either there or on the South Coast.

'I like sports' - bully for you, run / swim / sail around in circles to your hearts' content; or is it you like watching this lot ?!

The end result is that 'broke' Britain is stumping up billions which will never be recovered as some sort of 'prestige' kick for govt & very few, while hospitals, schools & defence are left to go hang; maybe if the 'hop skip and jump' was in realistic Afghanistan conditions it might liven things up a bit and bring some truths home...

BTW I'm not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    '

The end result is that 'broke' Britain is stumping up billions which will never be recovered as some sort of 'prestige' kick for govt & very few, while hospitals, schools & defence are left to go hang;

BTW I'm not a fan.
    When you say stumping up and never recovered, what do you think is happening to the money spent, torn up and washed down the drain or given to bankers to squirrel away in their off shore accounts, (both of which probably do happen with some of our taxes) or spent in a deprived part of London on construction and ending up in the pockets of ordinary working people. It might just give the economy the kick start it is in desperate need of and why should it matter if some people with more money than sense pay over the odds to go to the Olympics by boat, just helps the money go round a bit more as far as I can see.

Truth is we probably wouldn't have bid for it if the scale of our financial woes had been apparent but we did, we got it and some of us are going to enjoy it, sorry if you're not one of them Seajet.

If it 'ended up in the pockets of ordinary working people' rather than property developer style chums of the Govt', I would

A, be astounded beyond any previously experienced astoundedness,

B, think 'it's a waste but not quite so bad'.

C, from what I see of the 5-ring circus in Weymouth, the ordinary working people such as local businesses & hotels are being shafted, such things as parking up 350% and only certain models of taxi allowed ( no it wasn't April 1st when I saw that ! ) do not make for happy punters; what with the Condor ferry moving to Poole on a separate issue I wonder if Weymouth will even be able to afford the tumbleweed required; I'm sure councillors etc will come out well, and 'normal' people will suffer.

In a tiny way I am one of them; I usually travel along the South Coast as part of my summer hols, and now a major port of refuge is unavaliable for the first time since before William the Conq, unless I have mortal injuries or a bulging wallet onboard !

wklein is offline Registered User

Everyone is complaining about how much tax payers money is going to be spent on the event, and then complaining when people try and recoup some of the money.

From my end if the mooring fees were say doubled for the event i would think about going. And so would a lot of other people, and it would be carnage trying to get a berth. At least this way it will be controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by wklein View Post
    Everyone is complaining about how much tax payers money is going to be spent on the event, and then complaining when people try and recoup some of the money.

From my end if the mooring fees were say doubled for the event i would think about going. And so would a lot of other people, and it would be carnage trying to get a berth. At least this way it will be controlled.
    'Survival of the richest while culling out the pleb's' ? Yup that's the Olympic Spirit 2012 all right !

Exactly who is recouping whose money then ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    'It will be like Cannes ' ?! No it won't, it'll look like Grot London with a pink bow tie and a massive price tag, bu**ering up everyone else as they try to live normally either there or on the South Coast.

'I like sports' - bully for you, run / swim / sail around in circles to your hearts' content; or is it you like watching this lot ?!

The end result is that 'broke' Britain is stumping up billions which will never be recovered as some sort of 'prestige' kick for govt & very few, while hospitals, schools & defence are left to go hang; maybe if the 'hop skip and jump' was in realistic Afghanistan conditions it might liven things up a bit and bring some truths home...

BTW I'm not a fan.
    Wow, yes, I see you are not!

Actually you are lucky that you dont have to put up with being wrenched from the heights of glory to troughs of despair like us footie fans have to do weekly!