Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Talulah is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboatman View Post
    Since it is Be Nice To Bavs Day and the sun is shining,

...to be fair loadsa boats built like that.cost:benefit analysis doesn't allow much for operator error.
    Park with a thin hull with a goodly bump that flexes the edge of an inner moulding away from their anchorage to the hull/shell, add three Atlantic crossings...and wait
    This thread has been a really good learning experience. I've not seen this failure before and shall add it to my list of 'what to look for' when buying a boat.

Am I alone in wondering why the tie rod is attached to the sink?!!
    Is this really supposed to reinforce the chainplate?

Quote Originally Posted by tri39 View Post
    Am I alone in wondering why the tie rod is attached to the sink?!!
    Is this really supposed to reinforce the chainplate?
    It is not attached to the sink, but to a seemingly massive ring frame that is bonded into the hull - but by the looks of it not well bonded! Very common method used by other builders as well as Bavaria - but guess who will be crawling in the lockers later today to look at the bonding on his boat. Not that I would necessarily know how to spot a potential failure, but just in case there is something that has gone obviously amiss since I last looked.

Monique gets the virtual pint! I am not too sure of the length or year (Owen only mentioned that she is a Bavaria), but you are probably bang on there as well.
    I googled the entries list in the Heineken Regatta - www.heinekenregatta.com, and I have a pretty good idea who she is - have a look, and see what you think.
    http://new.result.vg/heineken/reg?p=entries;event_id=

I am not familiar with these boats - has the tabbing connected the partial bulkhead / frame to the hull sheared, or was it part of an assembly where the flange shown was simply glued to the hull?
    It is a bit worrying (to say the least) as there appears to be an element of fatigue here (cyclic repetitive loading on the frame, especially with 3 transatlantics under her keel?), or maybe the hull in this area had sustained a localised impact at some stage which might have helped to loosen the bond to the hull (?).
    I get the impression (from what Owen was telling me) that the boat will / has been declared a write off by the insurance company.
    What are your thoughts (addressed to everybody) on how you might undertake repairs (if you were feeling very enthusiastic - it will be a big job for sure), given the relative lack of info based on just a couple of photos?

I'm thinking a possible past impact as well, I've seen similar seperation of beams bonded to hull failure, but on a Sweden after a keel impact. The hull flex had seperated a number of reinforcing/bonded beams. Slamming upwind impact would probably be close to the mounting. Glad I wasn't at the sink when that happened!

Should surveys now include crack inspection between hull and internal mouldings/strengthening? I'd also be inspecting my chain plate/hull fixings.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

TQA is online now Registered User

I wonder if a close inspection of the turnbuckles might show a little pre race adjustement?

You know these racing types.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    I wonder if a close inspection of the turnbuckles might show a little pre race adjustement?

You know these racing types.
    For that to have had an effect the guage of rigging would have to of been upped as well.
    You should be able to keep tightening the rigging until the weakest point gives and that is ordinarily the wire.
    May be the wire was over specced for the 3 Atlantic trips.

Overtight rigging on these boats seems to result in the mast step compressing the bulkhead and stopping the forward cabin doors from opening. While the bulkhead is firmly glassed into the hull, it sits in a slot in the deckhead. There is a compression post which is linked to the ring beam that takes the tiebar, but there does still seem to be enough flexibility in the mast step to allow some distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Overtight rigging on these boats seems to result in the mast step compressing the bulkhead and stopping the forward cabin doors from opening. While the bulkhead is firmly glassed into the hull, it sits in a slot in the deckhead. There is a compression post which is linked to the ring beam that takes the tiebar, but there does still seem to be enough flexibility in the mast step to allow some distortion.
    Another thought, if the riggingwas over specced and the central shroud was overtightened in relation to the others. This would see most the load taken by the one shroud only.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

I think she might be a late 90's boat... Certainly no later than 2002 ...

I am surpised by that... The Point of attatchment on my 99 year bav is substantial... And of the construction described by tranona...

The must have been a failure of the bonding of the ring frame to the hull...
    I have good access to the attatchment point on mine.. And regularly inspect it...

I have never had concerns... The point were the attatchemnt is made appears to be a sandwich of ply with a covering of matt and resin...... But there is no sign of any strsses or cracks..

I wonder if there was a collision adjacent to the failure which damaged the rib or bonding by flexing...

Saying that... The damage i have seen at asw to charter boats...nothing would surprise me.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast