Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Out of sight of land?........

...I get panicky if I'm out of sight of a pub!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

hlb is offline Registered User

Default Re: Out of sight of land?........

Only get panicky of out of site of pub at tea time. If dont reach pub by then. Even more problems. No fuel. So the trick is to reach all pubs at all times before tea time. And setting off time. ( taking tide and wind into concideration) Is 10 11 or maybe 12 AM. Safe fuel arrival time is 3-4-5 PM dependent on hitches. By this method all departure times can be measured, only requiring slight adjustments to throttle to gain the desired effect.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

Default Re: Out of sight of boat?

Real Panic is....Out of sight of boat after closing time! Harbours such as Salcombe/Yarmouth etc, where water taxi has stopped operating hours ago! Hope you'll see someone with a dinghy heading out to their boat a 3am and will be suitably sozzled to be friendly and give you a lift.

<hr width=100% size=1> I asked an economist for her phone number....and she gave me an estimate

No. Best one was. Out of pub, closing time up river yelm. Dinghy gone for a joy ride.and tide gone out, leaving mud for two miles and boat on buoy!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

So what'd ya do faced with all that mud. Only swam back to boat once, and since then no matter what, have deep ingrained instinct not to swim, that counteracts all drunken tendencies to get back to boat no matter what.

<hr width=100% size=1> I asked an economist for her phone number....and she gave me an estimate

Default Re: Babies as fenders

Good ongoing correspondence in letters page of Jan MBY.

Captain Hook in July edition suggested that Babies made good fenders. M.A. Melville responded with threats of NSPCC. Captain Hook has responded that he's given up on babies, they soil fender soxs, don't stay put in fender baskets, and squealed too much when put inbetween vessels.

He wants to know if puppies would be better?

Some guy Steen Christensen also had a go at some hack called John Matthews 'Here's Johnny' piece about professional crew on Med boats. He reckons John is bitter that he is not out in the Med himself and should retire to his armchair and not complain about people who do it. . I reckon there will be an interesting response in Feb letters issue, or 'Here's Johhny' piece

Default Re: No, seriously.....

So, have you totted up yet? Doesn't seem to be many. I think some are being quiet?

Default Re: Yes

Your welcome to, only last week we had a chap from Norway, Rune was his name
    he had a Norwegian theory course, certificate was credit card sized. Anyway he wamted the Day Skipper as he was looking to buy a similar size boat top the Fairline. Also on his course was a boat broker from Salterns in Poole, and guess what? they are dealers for Botnia Targas, so they had lots to talk about.

Are you going to the London Boat Show?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

boatone is offline Registered User

Well, an interesting picture beginning to emerge.
    As you say, quite a lot of usually garullous peeps seem to be keeping very quiet on this one, whilst we see a number of names that have not beeen in great evidence heretofore.......

Why did I post in the first place....?
    Well, it seemed to me that it would make a pleasant change to flush out those who dont say much but may actually be far more experieneced than those who pipe up often but prefer to stay close -in and do the social bit in the marina or who enjoy a short sharp mad dash sort of boating.

Yes, I know Im a Thames based boater these days and likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future but I thought it would be nice to hear about some serious passage making. May be a long time ago now but I still remember the thrill of first sight of landfall be it Cape St Vincent, or Ushant or Table Mountain or wherever (u see, I have been about a bit....)

Also glad to see that we've managed a 50+ thread here which we havent had for quite a long time and without a lot of puerile inanity as well...('cept for haydn of course but even he gave us a nice piccy!) Also one or two contribs from the ladies which nice to see.

All in all quite pleased I posted[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/> Website, Photo Gallery, Chat Room, Burgees</A>
    Thames MotorBoater? Care about the river? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

"puerile inanity "

Dont know wot this stuff is. But just in case.............................................. .................................................. .....You want a thick ear??

Haydn