Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hmmmm.....as a charity I am not very happy that rescue launches now have to pay 35.

We'll just pass it on to the organisers but it is another barrier to these events having decent levels of safety cover and marshalling.

CJL

boatone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CJL View Post
    Hmmmm.....as a charity I am not very happy that rescue launches now have to pay 35.

We'll just pass it on to the organisers but it is another barrier to these events having decent levels of safety cover and marshalling.

CJL
    May be a misunderstanding here. The coaching and rescue craft referred to are the regular river based ones belonging to the rowing clubs themselves.
    Thames powered craft owner ? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

Well I hope so but I can see the argument that we aren't different.

We do try to make things safer but it can be very challenging at times!

CJL

bradtarga34 is offline Registered User

I don't quite understand why you think that a rescue boat should be exempt? If its being used on the river then some sort of license charge should be expected, and at 35.00 it is a very nominal charge. Considering how many people would benefit from the service, recouping this charge would surely amount to pence per person...

Quote Originally Posted by bradtarga34 View Post
    I don't quite understand why you think that a rescue boat should be exempt? If its being used on the river then some sort of license charge should be expected, and at 35.00 it is a very nominal charge. Considering how many people would benefit from the service, recouping this charge would surely amount to pence per person...
    Agreed... and in our reach these are the boats that cause the most wash and disturbance!

Unfortunately some events are not run very well and the 270 - 335/hr some commercial organisations charge means that event organisers either put costs up or reduce the level of safety cover.

I can assure you now that 100 scullers won't fit on one 6m rib!

Instead we don't charge - we just ask for our expenses to be covered and this would include the 35 registration cost. Which then brings us back to the start of the vicious circle!!

Makes no difference to me- it just does to the rowers and other river users that we support.

Gavi - I can assure 110% it wasn't any of our boats causing you any wash but I can certainly point you in some directions!!!

One of my biggest concerns is the number of safety boats being used by events. We've been asked to provide 2 ribs for events on the R Nene over a 4km course. You just can't do that as if we had to travel to an incident -sure we'd get there but we'd leave a trail of destruction in our wake of other rowers and river users which isn't on! Using more safety boats which in turn creates less wash is the only answer I can see.

Plus I only use my "free licence" for safety cover and on the odd occasion I go on the Thames just as a regular boat owner - down to the pub for lunch for example, I buy I visitor licence. Not many people would do that!! I suppose with my 35 licence I would be less inclined to continue doing that! Oh and our boats are NOT kept afloat.

CJL

Quote Originally Posted by bradtarga34 View Post
    Totally agree.

But it does discourage adequate safety cover and increases the barriers to participation in the water sports we enjoy for younger and less well off individuals.

Shouldn't we encouraging participation, not making it harder and more expensive?

CJL

jecuk is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CJL View Post
    I can assure you now that 100 scullers won't fit on one 6m rib!
    Not sure 100 scullers typically fall in at once.

As said, likely this doesn't apply to you. At 35 silly to argue against to be honest even if it does.

As I've said, makes not one bit of difference to us, but why the change all of a sudden?

In the past they have been encouraged, now they are effectively being discouraged and it risks being seen as an excuse.

CJL

Do you seriously think 35 p.a. is going to make a blind bit of difference to a club whose boat is used, say three days a week and shared between ten to twenty boats?

0.60p per week...

Get a grip man!!
    Fifty Shades of Bray: Don't laugh, your Wife is probably on board...