Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What's wrong with a huge dog on your boat?

Well, it's ok I suppose if it's your own dog! We have a small dog and she's very well behaved. We arrived at our boat today and a mobo moored close by had a huge dog on board. It looked like a St. Bernard crossed with a Great Dane.

I was down below and our dog was on deck when suddenly I heard something thundering along the pontoon and the huge dog had jumped ship and was looking for trouble. The dog spotted our dog and came onboard our boat without any hesitation. Luckily my dog has a lovely nature and didn't growl or bark or anything. I was a bit scared to be honest, because their dog was huge. The owner came to look for it and told me not to worry because his dog was as soft as anything, the only thing was he didn't seem to have any control over it. I was a bit annoyed TBH.

Hoolie is offline Registered User

Default What's wrong with a huge dog on your boat?

Nothing really. We have friends who sail on their 21ft boat with their old english sheep dog. She's a real softy and apparently loves sleeping aboard, tho' it sounds a bit cosy ... ... ...

What's wrong with a huge dog on your boat?
    Huge piles of do-dah!

KenMcCulloch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Celestial View Post
    The owner came to look for it and told me not to worry because his dog was as soft as anything, the only thing was he didn't seem to have any control over it.
    It always seems to me that owners of dogs that are running wild turn things round so that the problem becomes someone else's anxiety about the dog rather than their inability to keep the animal under control. Ars*hol*s.
    Ken McCulloch
    Rival 38 'Cherry Ripe'

Little Five is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Celestial View Post
    Well, it's ok I suppose if it's your own dog! We have a small dog and she's very well behaved. We arrived at our boat today and a mobo moored close by had a huge dog on board. It looked like a St. Bernard crossed with a Great Dane.

I was down below and our dog was on deck when suddenly I heard something thundering along the pontoon and the huge dog had jumped ship and was looking for trouble. The dog spotted our dog and came onboard our boat without any hesitation. Luckily my dog has a lovely nature and didn't growl or bark or anything. I was a bit scared to be honest, because their dog was huge. The owner came to look for it and told me not to worry because his dog was as soft as anything, the only thing was he didn't seem to have any control over it. I was a bit annoyed TBH.
    I am not at all surprised by your reaction. I like dogs and especially like them when the owners have word of command control over them. What that owner was saying to you was..."sorry I cannot control my dog but don't worry its as soft as anything".
    I cannot believe that his dog did not even ask permission before stepping on board. Outrageous!

VicS is offline Registered User

What's wrong with a huge dog on your boat?
    I cannot think of anything that would be right about having a dog of any size on my boat

Frankie-H is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I cannot think of anything that would be right about having a dog of any size on my boat
    Horses for courses m'thinks
    If you sail by the lee, eventually you will gybe.

St Bernards slobber a lot, it's not pleasant to be knee deep in dog saliva.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

There are dog owners and dog owners. A few years ago we were chatting to Dutch owners of a smart Malo when a scruffy boat with a large dog on board was directed to come alongside, at Goes. Shortly after, the two even scruffier sailors took off their shoes and came ashore across the Malo carrying the dog with them.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I was going to go with Ken at post #4, but this fits better.

Anyone wanting the hassle of keeping a dog is welcome to do so, but I don't want to, and I don't want the hassle of someone elses dog on or near my boat. I don't dislike dogs but they are for caravaners.
    Bob.
    Any bull in this post may be composted.