Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barnac1e View Post
    When approaching a crowded anchorage I cannot imagine that seeing an anchor light at the prescribed 2 miles distance is a critical matter other than for ColReg pedants - it is when much closer that it becomes useful. A lamp, solar-powered or otherwise, hung ideally in the fore-triangle or over the cockpit, is much better seen than masthead ones that I usually encounter throughout the Mediterranean, which when closing are always confusing as to where the attached yacht is actually located.

Defining the visible range is a way of specifying the acceptable brightness of the light.

A more useful definition to you and me than to say the light should have a luminous intensity of 4.3 candela. ~~ would you even know what a candela is without looking up its definition?

~

~~ now you've looked it up you are no wiser
    Last edited by VicS; 09-04-12 at 16:27.

>Yes you don't usually need to be able to see an anchor light at 2 miles distance but the 2 mile visible range is the way in which a light of adequate brightness is defined in the colregs.

I would be interested to hear the answer if somebody asked their boat insurance company if they would mind them using a light with less than two miles range. I think I know what Pantaenius would say.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Defining the visible range is a way of specifying the acceptable brightness of the light.

A more useful definition to you and me than to say the light should have a luminous intensity of 4.3 candela. ~~ would you even know what a candela is without looking up its definition?

~

~~ now you've looked it up you are no wiser
    Isn't it something to do with grease spots on paper?

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    Isn't it something to do with grease spots on paper?
    Definition of a candela? No! Black bodies at the melting point of platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    They say up to 8 hours so should be OK during the middle part of the summer ... provided its had enough light to fully charge during the day.

I experimented with one (in the garden) a few years ago ... only one LED and it would stay on all night during the middle of the summer but not by the end of the season.
    I put a different reflector in it to reflect as much light as possible out horizontally. It seemed pretty bright but no idea what its visible range was.
    Winter weather killed it in the end.

The snag I see is that they have to be out all day to be charged ready for use at night. No good arriving in an anchorage in the evening and getting the light out from a locker!

I might get one and just use it while the boat is on its mooring.

I reckon Salty John's automatic light is really the answer,
    or one of these http://www.drapertools.com/b2c/b2cit...o=89462&ipadd=
    Ive used two now, permantly mounted, they work OK.
    Stu

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Anchor light

I would suggest something like this for an anchor light.
    http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-11...w-p-34129.html
    This light will I am sure meet any requirements. Fit it in a glass jar and haul up into the rigging. It will run on ships 12v battery with very little current.
    Or if you want even less current this little one will do very well.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3005658590...254608&afsrc=1 I use one of these with 2 LED removed for a stern light and it is very bright.
    If you want a switch to automatically turn it on at dusk this can be done with 3 components from RS or similar. PM me for details.
    You can use a pack holding 10 AA batteries and fit it all in a jar recharging the batteries from the ships battery when necessary. good luck olewill
    Last edited by William_H; 10-04-12 at 00:46.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345