Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Unfriendly Sailors?

Now don't get me wrong because we have found that up to now every boat we have met with Irish people aboard have been the life and soul of the party and you couldn't meet a friendlier people... up to now.

When you are the only people on a visitors pontoon in a foreign country and another boat comes in that speaks a similar sort of language you tend to say hello.

Now if that boat contains four Irish males you expect a can of Guinness to be thrust at you before even a word is uttered.
    Not on this occasion. They are the unfriendliest sailors we have met. In fact we have decided they are either all priests or terrorists. I suppose we could find out by sending our son round with a loud ticking clock. Either he or the clock should grab their attention.

In the time we have been sailing we have always found that other sailors have always been friendly like you have known them forever.

Have you ever come across another boat that does just not want to say hello or people you think are really suspicious?

Yes in Turkey. i said hello to some people on a boat who turned out to be American, even though they had a red ensign.

They looked at me as if I was speaking double dutch, and then just turned away. I was a bit upset.

I don't think they were sailors though, I think they just happened to be on holiday on a boat.

I also find that 99.9% of the people you meet
    are really friendly..

Its those sailors with the Posh boats like Oysters
    that seem rude...

Quote Originally Posted by dab123 View Post
    I also find that 99.9% of the people you meet
    are really friendly..

Its those sailors with the Posh boats like Oysters
    that seem rude...
    Hey, I totally agree with you on that point.
    When we went to an Oyster show, prior to owning a boat, they did show us round but took us the back way round the champagne tents, through the mud, away from all the blazers and cravats. We called them a few choice names and said we would never darker their doorstep again.
    Never say never!

When you say "sailors" do you include MOBOs owners in that ?? Cos that a thread on its own .

Quote Originally Posted by clyst View Post
    When you say "sailors" do you include MOBOs owners in that ?? Cos that a thread on its own .

Strangely enough their well stocked fridges and ice boxes and bars have been one of the first opened to us in may places. They are a friendly lot when in a marina... out at sea it may be different.

The only unfriendly boaties we've seen have been those who only sail/motor for a few weeks a year (charterers too). I think they're still carrying their "townie" attitude with them where it's not always wise to open up to strangers, especially if you clearly have lots of money. I think if they were out here longer they'd learn to relax and take people as they come.

Ludd is offline Registered User

Chill! For every standoafish person you meet,there are another hundred avoiding you-----!
    Seriously though,these types are in the minority.
    If the weather was bad crossing the bay they may still be traumatised!

Incidentally,did you take their lines when they came in?
    Last edited by Ludd; 07-04-12 at 10:27. Reason: afterthought
    If you think it's tough at the top---try being at the bottom!

rotrax is offline Registered User

Having travelled the world for a variety of sporting and personal reasons and with no hang ups about comunicating with others by whatever means works- sign language, miming whatever, I have only met four obnoxious people. Two were German, one Irish and one French. This only proves that a tiny minority of people are *******s. Most of my travelling has been great and most sailors we meet are great. If others are rude and dont want to talk or interact with me or mine its their loss.

Bit like you, always happy to say hullo to people, most time get a friendly response back but some times do get the cold shoulder, which surprises me. Have found the farther we have got from the U.K. the less this happens. In Greece almost everybody happy to say hullo, I give special praise to those on flotilla and charter yachts, who are invariably happy.