Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Frankie-H is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    I rest my case.
    I am truely sorry snowleopard but what case have you proved and now rested?

You make the completely unwarranted assumption that I share your insecurities.

I am not making assumptions at all. I am talking through first hand experience. I have been living on my boat for 17 years and have many good friends, made while cruising, throughout the world.

I have found that, if unfriendliness exists, it is often from those, who believe that their project is infinitely more important than yours. Las Palmas panders to this and turns their harbour over to the ARC. Prices go up through the roof and many people have been turned off the new pontoons to accomodate the ARCies. Once they have gone things return to normal and the local traders are again pleased to see you.

Where are the assumptions in these statements
    If you sail by the lee, eventually you will gybe.

Frankie-H is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    In February a small group of us from Scotland were skiing with an Austrian who lives in Germany. He was at pains to point out to us that when raising a drink and wishing each other "Prost!" the etiquette is to look deeply into each others eyes. Not meeting the other person's gaze is considered quite offensive.
    There is an amusing Franco/Belgian equivalent. When toasting you must equally look deep into the other person's eyes and say 'chin'. Failure to do so will certainly result in unsatisfactory sexual encounters for the next 5 years.
    If you sail by the lee, eventually you will gybe.

rotrax is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Digbydog View Post
    There is an amusing Franco/Belgian equivalent. When toasting you must equally look deep into the other person's eyes and say 'chin'. Failure to do so will certainly result in unsatisfactory sexual encounters for the next 5 years.
    AAAH! Thats where I've been going wrong then....................

Chrusty 1 Guest

Digbydog said........

"the ARCies."

Tee-Hee! Love it!

ukmctc is offline Registered User

hmm, there are loads of differences, MOBO's, RAGGIES, weekend warriors, gin palaces, full time liveaboards marina bound, full time liveaboards sailing/motoring, I've found in general most are chatty, the ones who aint are mostly the snotties, new boats whether motor or sail but I say hello just to piss em off.

Four years ago while we were on a cruise on the Queen Mary 2 from New York swmbo and I were asigned a table in the resteraunt and found ourselves in the company of (among others) one of the remaining members of the family who owned Encylopedia Britania, a multi millionaire.
    The first evening he was quite obnoxious and made a nasty remark about "The working class Scots"
    We were considering asking to be given another table but decided to give it another evening and give him the benefit of the doubt.
    He turned out to be quite friendly and sociable after that and we had some good laughs and conversations with him.
    His life seemed to consist of cruising and playing bridge most of the time.
    C_W
    Holiday Flat to let in Millport , pm for details.

In February a small group of us from Scotland were skiing with an Austrian who lives in Germany. He was at pains to point out to us that when raising a drink and wishing each other "Prost!" the etiquette is to look deeply into each others eyes. Not meeting the other person's gaze is considered quite offensive.
    In France too.

Going back to my original scenario.

Well, not being on to give up I went back to the boat again and offered a heater as the evening was quiet cold. All I got was a it will be OK, we will be warm enough.
    Damm.

Later we saw one of them who came out to speak asking if I knew what the weather would be like and what was the best time to leave.

At that time a few things went through my mind but I would rather leave someone with good thoughts rather than bad as you may meet again somewhere. I printed of a copy of the latest weather, tides and took them across. I was invited on for a tea and the couple on there were very friendly and explained the others were just helping get them across Biscay and had now flown home.

The upshot was they were leaving early in the morning before the marina office opened. This meant they were unable to take back the three gate cards they had left a 20 euro deposit on each.

I am now in the proud possession of three additional cards. Hopefully we will see them again and return their deposit.

All good things comes to he who waits.

Barnac1e is offline Registered User

It is customary, at the same time, to say the other's name. If one is only at the surname stage then it would be opportune to offer the given name, if feeling well disposed to that person or if they have already themselves offered it. The transition from the formal "Sie" to the intimate "Du" is fraught with undercurrents of convoluted culture, depending on country and local conventions.

There are many of these social conventions that a Brit can be totally unaware of and which, unfortunately, are considered important by other nationalities. It took me a generation of living in a German-speaking environment to get a grip on most of them but I'm sure I still raise eyebrows even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post

The upshot was they were leaving early in the morning before the marina office opened. This meant they were unable to take back the three gate cards they had left a 20 euro deposit on each.

I am now in the proud possession of three additional cards. Hopefully we will see them again and return their deposit.

All good things comes to he who waits.
    Perfect Just cos someone seems a bit off doesn´t mean you need to be the same back. And invariably inaction is the best course of action.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast