Hybrid View

Fascadale is offline Registered User

Default A defaced ensign question..........RYA

I've recently been involved in a small way with the RYA. Their certificates sport a rather jaunty little red ensign defaced with a little gold crown.

Is this this the RYA ensign?

Post 2 in http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44653 suggests RYA members are entitled to wear this ensign. Is this true?

I have just been writing a hefty cheque to the RYA and now have a proper RYA certificate. Am I now entitled to this posh ensign?

I contribute to the RYA coffers through the handsome sum paid to them out of my yacht club subscription. Does this entitle me to this ensign?

If the answers to the above are "no" then can anyone tell me who can fly this flag.

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fascadale View Post
    I have just been writing a hefty cheque to the RYA and now have a proper RYA certificate. Am I now entitled to this posh ensign?
    Dunno about the flaggery rules, but holding one of their qualifications and being a member are not the same thing.

(Membership's not difficult to obtain, you just have to bung them fifty-odd quid per year.)

Pete

The RYA does not appear to have its own ensign.

If you want a quick route to elitism just join the CA and have a joke blue one.

Not quite pukka though as even those in trade can join.

Quote Originally Posted by chinita View Post

Not quite pukka though as even those in trade can join.
    You can also join Poole Yacht Club, founded in 1852 to "provide sailing for the working men of Poole" - they even let me in!

Been an RYA member for a long while and was advised by them some time ago that I am eligible to wear their "Gold Membership Flag" so I bought one (I'm a soft touch like that).

I have ten-year old handkerchiefs that are better quality than their membership flag. I've never put it up because I'm too embarrassed to do so!

From the RYA Flag Etiquette Book:

A warrant authorising the RYA Ensign (one of the 14 warranted yacht clubs using a defaced Red Ensign) was signed by Viscount Cranbourne in November 1992. It differs from all the others as the RYA is not a club in any sense and the Ensign generally only flies at the shorebased offices of RYA.
    However, the RYA Ensign and Burgee can be used on board by RYA Officers on official duty. RYA members may use the memberís flag flown as such from the port spreaders or in burgee form.

I do not think the RYA will issue permits for RYA members to wear the RYA Ensign.

J

Quote Originally Posted by chinita View Post
    a quick route to elitism
    I sometimes wonder how many people actually know the history of the "privileged" ensigns. Especially those who decry them and go on to trumpet their pride in the "red duster".

Perhaps a little knowledge would make them think again. But, there again, perhaps not. People don't easily give up their cherished prejudices.

It (the defaced Ensign) is not available to the general membership of the organization.
    From Rigger's link. You are not even a general member via an associated or affiliated club. But there is a Yachtmasters' Burgee if you have the balls to take the stick from all the idiots who will want to see you shown up.

It's a bit like wearing a Blue, so many are trying to find fault with what you do.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/