Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rtboss1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Inachos486 View Post
    I have visited most of the islands in both the Agean and Ionian and would strongly reccomend you spend time in the Ionian first and then when you do go to the Agean you will see why the Ionian is in a league of its own
    Thats the way to go keep them up in the Ionion.

I have visited most of the islands in both the Agean and Ionian and would strongly reccomend you spend time in the Ionian first and then when you do go to the Agean you will see why the Ionian is in a league of its own
    Absolutely correct!

Just swap the names

Quote Originally Posted by diquinn View Post
    Thanks for all replies. After consideration we are leaning towards sailing south round the Peloponese.
    That's cheaper but possibly not so interesting. The Gulf of Corinth is visited by very few yachts and it's common for you to be the only yacht in an anchorage. Galaxidhi is worth a visit if only because it's only an hours drive from there to the site of Delphi, and that's a "not to be missed" place. The northeastern end of the gulf has several large bays with numerous anchorages where you'll be lucky if you catch site of another yacht never mind share an anchorage with one!

The western Penepolese has Katakolon which is crowded though not completely safe, it's perfect for a visit to Olympia though. Given the choice (and I've seen both) Delphi wins hands-down. Pilos is also a good place to stop and very safe too if you can get in the overcrowded "marina" there. Methoni just south of Pilos is a good and usually safe anchorage with a huge Venetian castle.

The Corinth Canal is expensive(!) but it's worth doing it once just for the experience, it is worth seeing. West to east is, in my view, the best direction to go because of the winds. After the busy Ionian (not too bad though in May) you might welcome the near deserted Gulf of Corinth?

Tony Cross

Agree with that. Unless the objective is to get to the Aegean as quickly as possible it would be a shame to miss some of the Ionian and the Gulf of Corinth plus the experience of the canal transit.

We intend to do a circumnavigation of the Peloponese this year. Looking forward to it, as although we have been before it was only 2 weeks and we want to spend a couple of 3 months doing it. So many places we saw initially that we want to revisit and spend time in and also places we never got to see.
    Also looking forward to the Gulf of Corinth, will go through the canal (east to west) and look forward to that as well.
    If the O.P. has time suggest there is no need to rush.

blueglass is offline Registered User

seconded. I did Ionian on the way east and never bothered moving on! Love the place. To sail straight through would be a sad loss.