Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Low freeboard disadvantages:-

To achieve same headroom then wetted area is greater = slower in lighter winds

Normally associated with less internal volume = less stowage & often stooping posture

Closer to the water & more likely to get a wave over

More high freeboard advantages

- Flatter better deck working
    - No tiddly side decks
    - Hull windows at right height
    - Forces learning of decent parking techniques as crew can't take a leap from the shrouds to sort out the errors
    - Wind will reliably turn the bow in a short length of water so more options available

Doesn't look as good as an nicely banana shaped boat though.

Angele is offline Registered User

I think PRV's explanation of the need for high topsides (flattened hull shape = very little amount of the cabin space is below the waterline) is bang on. That and the tendency to have a flat coachroof.

A lot of the disadvantages mentioned earlier are easily overcome in many (most?) cases.

Take Searush's getting in and out of the dinghy. That is what a bathing platform transom and fold down helm seat achieve beautifully. Getting on and off - fender steps are wonderful. So, too, are guardwire gates. Being pinned on, you learn to use springing off techniques (and, since most modern AWBs have little propwalk you do actually reverse out in the direction you are pointing). Being blown off, well it takes a bit of practice, but my usual solution is a bit more speed coming into the berth than you would normally use and then a lot of reverse to bring her up for the crew to step off. (The technique of lassooing the first cleat on a finger pontoon and using it as a spring also works well). Washing the fish guts off your hands = transom shower!

About the only disadvantage that has been mentioned that does present a challenge is Parsifal's point about picking up moorings. I sometimes find the strops are too short to be able to get them onto my cleat.

The benefit - more internal volume than many MABs, even in the sleeker performance ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Angele View Post
    The benefit - more internal volume than many MABs, even in the sleeker performance ranges.
    But what are you doing in that volume? What is it's value? It's surely dead space?

Quote Originally Posted by Judders View Post
    But what are you doing in that volume? What is it's value? It's surely dead space?
    No, it's just space and it gives you freedom to move about in.

Is your house bigger than your boat? If so, surely you should have a smaller one with less dead space.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

You try living on board in warm climates in tightly confined boats then you will understand the attraction of light airy interiors. The major markets for todays boats are in warm parts of the world with generally lighter wind conditions than UK. So the ability to bash around in cold wet environments needing to hang onto things is low on the list of priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SolentBoy View Post
    No, it's just space and it gives you freedom to move about in.

Is your house bigger than your boat? If so, surely you should have a smaller one with less dead space.
    Ah I see, so a (for example) Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 42i is more like a Georgian Farm House? Now I get it.

The bit which would have been lower sidedecks in our boat is mostly shelves and cupboards in the saloon and fore cabin, wardrobes of sufficient height in the aft cabins, and a top bunk in the midships cabin. All very useful space especially for all those extra bits of stuff we seem to accumulate.

The air volume down the centre of the boat is a bit wasted on us as we are quite short, but our taller friends are grateful that they don't just fit into the boat, they have a little space above them so it doesnt feel too low-ceilinged.

I wonder if we've turned that terribly sad, politically-correct corner into a world where looks matter less than just being bland and agreeable? Or, where people-carriers are touted as sexy because they reflect their drivers' reproductive output?

The Contessa 32 is monstrously cramped, but genuinely beautiful, a pleasure to look at, on board or from afar. Surely (hopefully) that counts for as much at decision time, as acquiring a comfortable, bland, characterless slab-sided floating caravan?

...OR...

Just like the difference between:

...and...

Who'll you feel like imitating today? Mr Bond, or Postman Pat?

Is the proliferation of vans and floating caravans, the SWMBO influence? 'Just a nice safe way of getting from A to B'. Snore.
    Last edited by dancrane; 10-04-12 at 14:19.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    I wonder if we've turned that terribly sad, politically-correct corner into a world where looks matter less than just being bland and agreeable? Or, where people-carriers are touted as sexy because they reflect their drivers' reproductive output?

The Contessa 32 is monstrously cramped, but genuinely beautiful, a pleasure to look at, on board or from afar. Surely (hopefully) that counts for as much at decision time, as acquiring a comfortable, bland, characterless slab-sided floating caravan?

Beautiful? A pleasure to look at? eww. No thanks. Now THIS is beautiful:

I really wonder at people who think that (their idea of good) looks or sailing ability are more important than interior volume and comfort in port. To each his own. But it seems to be the MAB brigade that has a chip on its shoulder and constantly criticise AWBs.
    Apartment for rent in Klosters, Switzerland http://goo.gl/HKIcgK

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast