Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lake Windermere webcam at Low Wood Bay

Does anyone know what has happenened to the Windermere web cam at Low Wood?
    I found it very useful to check the lake level but it has been down for a few weeks now

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

I posted about this lack of webcamness the other day. All those I had bookmarked on my desktop pc had gone down. The ferry webcam on Windermere seems to have degenerated into a small image refreshed infrequently. It used to be a large streaming image.

I use the webcam at the Steam Boat Museum http://www.steamboats.org.uk/
    Click on the View Webcam link bottom right.
    It used to have it's own address but is now displayed as a pop-up.

A bit of digging about has secured this http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/snwebcam/windermere.jpg which gives the direct URL.
    That gives it away as being operated by the Lake Rangers. They keep their boats and have an office at the museum, so presumably they use it to check on the water levels as well.
    In the picture today you can see the lake is down a bit. It's usual level is about 6" beneath the beam below the decking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post

I use the webcam at the Steam Boat Museum http://www.steamboats.org.uk/
    10m for a steamboat museum??????
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SolentBoy View Post
    10m for a steamboat museum??????
    It's been described (by Martyn Heighton, Director of National Historic Ships, I believe) as "the most important collection of boats generic to one location anywhere in the world."

See about some of the collection http://www.culture24.org.uk/history%.../time/art39097

Look at the Gallery page on the museum's web site.

The collection includes the first mechanically powered vessel in the world, the oldest and second oldest vessels on the Lloyds Register of Yachts and the first amphibious glider to fly from the water in the UK. But also, it has a complete view of the history of this area including Beatrix Potter's rowing boat and did have Arthur Ransome's dinghies (well one of them) although of those are not there at present as they are owned by other bodies.

The rebuilding of the boats is expensive. Osprey is in bits at the moment and they are looking for another 99K to help. Most of the boats that have been in the water for years are in need of substantial repair work and the boilers need refurbishing as do the engines. All these things are expensive, one-off projects.

The buildings need replacing as the main exhibition hall is the old sand wharf workshop, complete with asbestos roof. The wet docks are covered-in but sinking slowly into the lake so the architect competition to provide a scheme to completely rebuild the museum buildings was essential.

Even the temporary building to house all the boats and the special cradles built to support them cost 500K.

Lots of local people moan about the museum being closed for so long (probably about 10 years in total). However, ask locals how many times they visited the museum and you start to see why it was not making very much money.

Lovely boats I am sure.

But 10m????

How about a 5m museum for the old boats and funding for the entire career of 50 nurses instead?

Surely we are losing the plot here?
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

No. There aren't any nurses at the museum.

None of the money was in any government budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
    No. There aren't any nurses at the museum.

None of the money was in any government budget.
    How about a nurses museum instead?

I suppose the national lottery is allowed to waste it's money on anything it wants to.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

Thanks lakesailor for the webcam info. It is not as good as the Low Wood cam but still gives a reliable indication of the lake level

Quote Originally Posted by WouldbeSailor View Post
    "Connection Error"

Same as I've been getting for days. Weather station works http://englishlakes.co.uk/watersports/weather.aspx
    Last edited by Lakesailor; 10-04-12 at 19:27.