Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreams

Invest the 200k in lottery tickets, then buy the Sunseeker Manhattan 50

I've started saving.
    'Excalibur' - Portishead
    (Formerly WhiteMischief)

i think i wood have a saling yacht bilt with 3 mast and a speed boat on deck as a hi speed tender and a heley-copter pad on the ster of the yacht
    and most probley over a 1000hp inbord diesel engine

A nice sailing cat for me!

If I had your dream though a Sealine T51 would be a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by snooty fox View Post
    Would love to but ER IN DOORS says no way
    Well if you really have no option but a mobo, have a look at a Nelson or one of the similar types. There's something about a Princess that shouts " the only way is Essex". Bit like a blinged up Range Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by solitaire11 View Post
    I take it he woke you up on sunday then? pmsl
    So you were there too!

I'm trying not to have a dig at anyone, but why is it always the boats with the smelliest, smokiest exhausts that need to idle on the pontoon for ages before moving, and are then left running in the lock despite the notice to switch off?

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeartist View Post
    So you were there too!

I'm trying not to have a dig at anyone, but why is it always the boats with the smelliest, smokiest exhausts that need to idle on the pontoon for ages before moving, and are then left running in the lock despite the notice to switch off?
    Simple. THose are the ones with the unreliable knackered engine

snooty fox is offline Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeartist View Post
    So you were there too!

I think you may be on about the old lifeboat that was in front , I fired my smokies up drop me lines then go and ALWAYS turn them off in alock ,

No arguments intended

snooty fox is offline Registered User

So a three masted flybridge 1000hp wooden yacht/MOBO

Large old Diesels not always unreliable. Just old technology when emissions were not so stringent. 5000 to 8000cc with big industrial size turbos can produce a bit of smoke. Some more than others. Mine are very clean with minimal smoke, and 90% of the time I do turn them off in locks.

Most of these engines produce 200 to 600 bhp each. It's recommended by all manufacturers that we warm them up before increasing the revs too highly, and creating excessive wear.

The other main culprit is of course diesel bug, which tends to increase smoke quite a bit.

Still, a couple of large diesels always seem to go down quite well when towing in a sailing boat ;-)

Happy to push others mobs to turn off in locks, maybe Raggies could listen to VHF more often. Constantly a problem at Portishead as lock keeper can't contact them. I don't know why but they seem to call in and then turn VHF down so they can't hear it.

This is not meant to be a dig, but constructive. Maybe there is a reason why they turn them down or off.
    Last edited by Who; 13-04-12 at 20:41.
    "Is it me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Who View Post
    Most of these engines produce 200 to 600 bhp each. It's recommended by all manufacturers that we warm them up before increasing the revs too highly, and creating excessive wear.
    It really doesn't matter how much power an engine produces, it will take a long time to warm up if it is left to idle. Putting some gentle load on it (like pootling down through the marina) will warm it up much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Who View Post
    Happy to push others mobs to turn off in locks, maybe Raggies could listen to VHF more often. Constantly a problem at Portishead as lock keeper can't contact them. I don't know why but they seem to call in and then turn VHF down so they can't hear it.
    I wasn't aware of any problem, other than the VHF reception being almost non-existent when you are west of the end of the pier. I'll ask next time I'm in the marina office.