Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kos Marina

bromleybysea is offline Registered User

We were in Samos marina last year on a charter. We have friends that live there and I'm flying out there in a couple of weeks. Samos is a lovely island and is relatively undeveloped tourist-wise, but is suffering, like all of Greece, from the effects of the government's austerity programme. The marina is modern, well run and the staff are friendly and helpful. There is a chandlery and a couple of bars/restaurants on site, and it’s a 20 min walk into Pythagorion, with lots of bars, restaurants, car hire and a small supermarket just out of town near the airport. We would certainly consider it as a Greek base. The outlying islands are lovely and of course you can almost chuck a biscuit onto a Turkish beach from there. The main downside is that as far as I know there are no direct flights from the UK in the winter and going via Athens is expensive and takes forever. Charter flights seem plentiful and reasonably cheap in the summer though.

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Last news I heard was that the marina chandlery had closed, and it's business had moved to the town chandlery. I don't know whether that was a seasonal thing though. The marina supports quite a lot of charter trade though, which is always good news for yacht support.
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

tonybannister is offline Registered User

The chandlery has closed and much of its small stock is now on the shelves of the supermarket which is next door on the marina site. There is a very good chandlers in the main town of Vathi on the sea front almost opposite the small yacht harbour. The Taverna on site (Mama's) has really excellent Greek food, the supermarket is good. All in all one of our favourite spots and have considered wintering there. Probably not a liveaboard community there yet and a bit of a stretch into town.

Palarran is offline Registered User

Has anyone visited Kos and specifically the quay by the castle in the last few years? I'm wondering how packed you think it will be in Mid-June. I contacted Kos Marina and they advised me that you can't reserve a spot on this quay. We would be arriving before noon. Thanks for any info.
    David.

charles_reed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MASH View Post
    I've just been offered 6 months in the water 6 months out for my 10m boat. problem is, its in for the winter and on the hard for the summer! Jokers. Number 80 on the list for a proper berth.
    No wonder the Greek economy is in such a pickle if they're letting so much business go to waste.
    You can't sell what you haven't got. (Unless a con-artist).
    It would appear to me that Kos is excessively popular, because I know of lots of places where no such problem exists.

Sybaris is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaerselman View Post
    I agree. They should instantly raise their prices until enough people leave to create vacancies.
    Good one, that is what would happen in the UK or US.

affinite is offline Registered User

I was there last week and had no trouble getting in. There were a few boats in but plenty of berths available as of evening. The berthing master was "reserving" a space for someone, and waving away anyone who tried to berth in it so maybe if you can find a brown paper envelope, you can reserve a place
    I think you will be OK mid June
    You can keep an eye on the corner of the harbour at this webcam http://kosinfo.gr/webcams/webcam-1

BTW if you do moor there, keep a good eye open and lock your boat when away.
    Our boat, and most of the others moored up on the quay overnight, was "visited" in the middle of the night by a scallywag who thankfully didnt nick anything but was chased off my neighbours boat twice in the night.
    Last edited by affinite; 06-05-14 at 08:42.

Palarran is offline Registered User

Thanks Affinite, that was very helpful.