Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frankie-H is online now Registered User

I once set 5 sails at the same time on my Arpege in the 70s. It is called good fun and learning about sail handling. You might also try a mizzen on a boat hook from one of the back stays and a spanker set below the boom.

Forget about all these purists and instruction books. Go for it. Choose a calmish day and enjoy but remember that you have to get them in again if the wind comes up.
    If you sail by the lee, eventually you will gybe.

Krusty is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=jerrytug;3483423]....... Bearing in mind she was definitely not designed to be rigged as a cutter [QUOTE]

Neither was my boat, but with the stay shifted to parallel the forestay and sails cut to suit she became a superb all-weather performer without the drawbacks of a Genoa.

You might find it worthwile to take a look at my album "A unique Pionier 10" (by clicking on "Krusty")
    Last edited by Krusty; 15-04-12 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWDOC View Post
    In our boat class Gladiateur 33 - i know of one boat who solved this problem by moving the deck fixing point forward.
    we have the identical rig to the Gladiateur 35
    I may be wrong but not always

SAWDOC is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Digbydog View Post
    I once set 5 sails at the same time on my Arpege in the 70s. It is called good fun and learning about sail handling. You might also try a mizzen on a boat hook from one of the back stays and a spanker set below the boom.

Forget about all these purists and instruction books. Go for it. Choose a calmish day and enjoy but remember that you have to get them in again if the wind comes up.
    Excellent!! Can you give me a few pointers on the mizzen set up - i'd love to try that!

Thanks for the further replies,that`s just what I had in mind Digbydog and Krusty! Brilliant! Your `babystays`l` certainly looks useful indeed on the pioneer cheers for the inspiration matey!
    Last edited by jerrytug; 17-04-12 at 11:34. Reason: Sausage fingers

Frankie-H is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SAWDOC View Post
    Excellent!! Can you give me a few pointers on the mizzen set up - i'd love to try that!
    The sail was from a dinghy, I can't remember which one but not too large. I hanked the piston hanks onto the leeward backstay and lashed the boathook to the stay and to the foot of the sail. Lashed the clew to the end of the boathook as an out haul and had sheets which followed through the aft corners of the pushpit. I used the main topping lift as a halliard and a downhaul down to the rigging screw. It set quite well and the whole issue certainly caused a few comments on the river Blackwater.
    If you sail by the lee, eventually you will gybe.

SAWDOC is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Digbydog View Post
    The sail was from a dinghy, I can't remember which one but not too large. I hanked the piston hanks onto the leeward backstay and lashed the boathook to the stay and to the foot of the sail. Lashed the clew to the end of the boathook as an out haul and had sheets which followed through the aft corners of the pushpit. I used the main topping lift as a halliard and a downhaul down to the rigging screw. It set quite well and the whole issue certainly caused a few comments on the river Blackwater.
    Wonderful! I shall cerainly give it a try - a nice diversion for the summer.