Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Excellent vid of rescuing a Yacht off a beach

Excellent vid of rescuing a Yacht off a beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehafNSZM-84&feature=fvwp

Quote Originally Posted by Niander View Post
    Excellent vid of rescuing a Yacht off a beach.
    ... If you have twenty-seven minutes to spare.

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Rescue

A fair bit of comedy of errors especially after getting it to float.
    Certainly expensive with earth movers and cranes.
    We got to rescue a 34ft boat on Wed night. Very gentle conditions he just missed the deep water mark and motored onto the mud. On a slightly falling tide. We happened to be nearby in the club rescue boat and actually watched him run aground. We received a rope from the bow and tried to turn the boat towards deep water moved it a bit then it was stuck again.
    The skipper then asked us to take a halyard and use the rescue boat to heel the boat. She then cam off under her own engine quite easily. It is a rescue method I have often wondered about. It is a bit scary to apply a RB pull to the top of the mast. Visions of it all tumbling down under too much load. As it happened there were no worries. All over in 10 minutes.
    Thinking about the rescue I realised I had made the mistake I have told so many people not to make. "Ask the skipper what he wants" don't try to dictate how the rescue is to be done from the RB. In hind sight we should have simply pulled the boat out backwards in the same path it went into the mud. The chosen path was across a longer path of mud. anyway we got some amusement and he was grateful.
    The funny thing is a smaller 19ft fin keel yacht cam past in the other direction he went way inside the deep water marks . We watched amused and even yelled at him and waited for the characteristic hull stop, mast lurch forward of a grounding. Somehow he got through it being high tide. The one who did run aground must have been watching him and not concentrating on steering.

We have a roster to operate the RB an 18ft Al with 140HP inboard/outboard when we run the twilight races. It is mostly a token gesture but good for towing in boats without engine when the wind drops. Now only about 3 wed twilight races left for the season. This was however a beautiful evening. Temps 15 to 31. all good fun olewill

how did they get the slings on whilst she was on the beach?

have always wondered about shovelling sand away from keel/underside of boat, but would worry whole thing slid on top of me mid shovelling...

love the push from the digger on the stern

Quote Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
    ... If you have twenty-seven minutes to spare.
    Yes thats what the fast forward is for...

rob2 is offline Registered User

I can't understand why they risked pushing the stern with a digger! There was a line rigged to an anchor to pull her bows out, so why didn't they tow her out by hooking it to the digger and driving up the beach? I guess there isn't any useful tidal range where this happened, else it would have been so much safer to wait, once lifted to the water's edge.

Mind you, with a crane, a digger and a diver in the water, I guess this wasn't a cheap exercise. Let's hope there wasn't too much damage to a rather nice looking yacht.

Rob.

Just wondering why they didn't crane her down further to the water before the tide came up ... and I couldn't quite work out why they did a tow strop around the keel ... I don't think the line from there round some block or other further out and back to shore did much... !!
    WH used a technique I've used before - take the halyard from the masthead (mast head rig) and use that to tip the boat on her side - she draws a bit less then...
    There was a tender floating about - that strapped to the halyard would've provided quite a bit of heal ....

>The skipper then asked us to take a halyard and use the rescue boat to heel the boat. She then cam off under her own engine quite easily. It is a rescue method I have often wondered about. It is a bit scary to apply a RB pull to the top of the mast. Visions of it all tumbling down under too much load.

We went aground in the Bahamas, there are two charts and a pilot book and they all differ as to where the shallows are, most of the area has no more than eight feet depth the most we saw was 12. We used our dighy to lay out an anchor attached to a rope attached to a halyard. Tipped the boat over and got off. It's very easy thing to do and defitinitley no risk to it.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    It's very easy thing to do and defitinitley no risk to it.
    I wouldn't say "NO" risk - there's always risk - but minimal in this case I would think ...

paulclan is offline Registered User

Smile Using Halyard from Masthead to pull off when grounded.?

Done this more than once, yachts don't seem to mind and its quick!
    Give two halyards if masthead rig and you are worried!
    If you're on the putty in a mobo, a line to the midships cleat and over the cabin top to the rescue vessel will heel your vessel enough if single keel displacement type hull.
    Bilge keeled yachts and similar mobo's need not apply!
    Lucky lift-keelers just lead the rest of us onto the putty!
    Last edited by paulclan; 13-04-12 at 19:37. Reason: clarification
    "C'est Formidable"

"He who dips his wick must needs pay for oil"